New CFI

Old August 19th 05, 06:23 PM
RST Engineering

Except that the pilot (61.133 (b) (1)) will have stamped on their
certificate a prohibition about carrying persons for hire more than 50 miles
*or* at night without an instrument rating. I'd like to see a General
Counsel interpretation as to whether this clause would also prohibit flight
instruction for hire to these limitations.

My suspicion is that it probably WOULD be interpreted with these
limitations, so cross country or night instruction would be out, and would
severely limit the instructor rating.

Jim

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

Nothing about having a Commercial certificate in any way implies having an
Instrument rating.

Pete

Old August 19th 05, 06:24 PM
Ben Hallert

Before I solo'd, I went for a flight with the owner of the FBO. It was
just a lesson, where he taught me some stuff and had me show him a
couple landings, and it was incredibly useful on a lot of levels.

1. I got some different perspectives on stuff I had learned that
increased my actual understanding (versus just doing things by rote).
2. Validated that my instructor had taught me what I needed to know (I
knew this already, but if I had been nervous, this would have been good
reassurance).
3. Gave me a chance to fly with a stranger in the cockpit. I picked
some stuff up from this that I'm convinced helped me be a little less
awkward when my PPL checkride came a month later.

In short, 'tain no reason why a new CFI can't do a great job, you have
the tools needed to make sure you're getting what you pay for (if you
have another instructor do a lesson partway), and you can always switch
instructors if you don't like how it feels.

I would say that the bigger risk is that this perceived 'obstacle'
could be one of those things that makes you put off following your
flying dreams. There's already enough drag out there (cost,
scheduling, nervousness about flying, self doubts, etc) that you don't
need to add an artificial one.

Thoughts?

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old August 19th 05, 08:27 PM
Brian

A well Trained new CFI should not be much of an issue.

During his CFI training he should have developed a network of CFI's or
DE's as a Mentors and Resouces.
What he may lack in experience he will make up for in that he should be
very current on current Regulations and PTS Standards. This can
sometimes be an issue with experienced CFI's in that some find it hard
to change with the rules and may still be teaching a Maneuver the same
way they were taught 20 years ago. Even if the standards for it have
changed.
A New CFI will probably be more willing to research issues he does not
know about and discuss your training with his mentors.

Most of all there just try it. If it isn't working for you ask your CFI
if he would mind if you try flying with another CFI. If he says
"Absolutly Not",Run don't Walk to your new CFI.and don't look back.
Your CFI may warn you about CFI hopping, But trying another CFI should
not be an issue. Any good CFI should be more than willing let you fly
with another CFI and may even recommend several CFI's for you to
consider.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Old August 19th 05, 08:34 PM
Paul kgyy

A critical issue in getting through the training is to be able fly
regularly. You'll move along faster with somebody that's less
experience, but available, than with a greybeard that's always out
flying charters.

My recent IFR instructor was young enough to be my grandson and only
had about 250 hours but was highly professional and consistent in his
training. He was much more meticulous about flying than my previous
instructor, who had 7000 hours but half the time unavailable.

Old August 19th 05, 08:37 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Except that the pilot (61.133 (b) (1)) will have stamped on their
certificate a prohibition about carrying persons for hire more than 50
miles *or* at night without an instrument rating. I'd like to see a
General Counsel interpretation as to whether this clause would also
prohibit flight instruction for hire to these limitations.

My suspicion is that it probably WOULD be interpreted with these
limitations, so cross country or night instruction would be out, and would
severely limit the instructor rating.

Jim

I don't understand why you think they would interpret it that way. They have
already made it very clear that an instructor isn't in the airplane to fly
but rather to teach. A CFI isn't exercising the privileges of his commercial
ticket when he is teaching as exampled by NOT having to have a 2nd class
medical.

Old August 19th 05, 08:46 PM
RomeoMike

My life's adventures have taught me that experience counts for a lot in
any endeavor that I can think of. That's especially true for CFIs. Ones
that can't teach or don't really know some of the finer points can hold
you back. Remember that some young CFIs don't even have 300 hrs. They
have gotten good at training for the ratings and have very little actual
experience. Another point is that you, having no experience, won't
necessarily know if you are getting good instruction or not. I would
always go with the experienced instructor who also has some good
recommendations, since experience alone doesn't mean good instruction
either.

Mediacom wrote:
Well, after lingering in these groups for a while and dreaming about the day
I could start flight lessons I think that day is finally here. I made a
trip out to the local FBO to figure out what exactly the next step is and
more specifically how I go about choosing a flight instructor. It turns out
that the experienced instructors all have pretty full schedules mainly
because of charter flights. There is at least one experienced CFI that
might have some openings. The manager of the FBO recommended that I talk to
a new CFI at the FBO. He is brand new. He just got his CFI a few months
ago and he is not instrument rated. I guess I am looking for any advice on
starting lessons with a "baby" CFI. Obvious concerns are 1. That he will be
hesitant to put his students up for a check ride because he will not want
them to fail. 2. I might miss out on the wisdom of a more experienced
pilot. 3. His lack of an instrument rating will make me miss out on some
wisdom in that area as well. Obviously I know that CFIs have to start with
a blank slate and I am not necessarily opposed to taking up lessons with
him. I'm just interested in any feedback.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Old August 19th 05, 10:20 PM

The requirement for CFIs (in airplanes) to have an instrument rating
has nothing to do with the requirement of CFIs to have a commercial (or
higher) certificate. It is stated right in FAR 61.183 that to be
eligible for a CFI certificate with an airplane, powered lift or
instrument rating you must have an instrument rating (or instrument
privileges) on your pilot certificate. The instrument rating
requirement is there, presumably, so the instructor can get you out of
a jam if you accidentally get into IMC. It is of course possible to be
a helicopter CFI without having an instrument rating.

It is also not necessarily true that a CFII or an MEI is better than a
"basic" CFI. From the FAA perspective there is no such thing as a
"basic" CFI, only a flight instructor certificate, and ratings that can
go on that certificate. While the usual progression is: Airplane
Single Engine, Instrument Airplane, Airplane Multi-Engine; The
instructor ratings can actually be earned in any order. That is, it is
possible, although not common, to get a flight instructor certificate
with an "Instrument Airplane" rating but not an "Airplane Single
Engine" rating. Such an instructor could give training toward an
instrument rating, but could not give training toward a private or
commercial certificate.

One advantage of doing the CFI-I rating first is that when you later
train for you airplane single engine rating, you can do all of the
training and the checkride in a non-complex aircraft since you already
demonstrated complex airplane proficiency on the instrument checkride.

Jeff H., CFI ASE/AME/IA

PS Now for the bonus question. How could one get an airplane CFI
certificate without ever flying a retractable gear airplane?

Old August 19th 05, 10:40 PM
RST Engineering

There are tens of thousands of airplane CFIs out there today that had never
flown a retract. I'm one of them.

Jim

Old August 19th 05, 11:02 PM
xxx

If a CFI has hair and it isn't grey, keep looking.

Yah, I know, that's an unsupportable generalization. Somewhere
out there, along with Bigfoot and Nessie, there's a 20-something
with 252 hours who can do a great job on teaching you to fly. But
to get all my metaphores hopelessly confused, you'll have to kiss
a lot of frogs before the genie pops out of that particular lamp.

Find an older guy, preferably one who teaches as a hobby or as a
retirement project. Unless you really do live out in Bigfoot country,
it's all but certain that there is someone like that at some airfield
you can easily get to. It'll just take some legwork to find the right
match.

Nothing said here should be taken to mean that ALL old guys are good
instructors. Odds are, though, someone who has seen it all over the
course of decades knows more and is better at communicating it than
is the archetypal condescending punk who thinks he's on his way to a
fabulous airline career, once his days of suffering through the likes
of you are put paid.