Parachute repack questions

Old April 21st 04, 09:38 PM
Bill Daniels

Default Parachute repack questions

I'm going to watch my parachute get repacked this evening. The local Master
Rigger is teaching a rigging class and I'm invited to watch him repack my
'chute in front of the class.

Can I ask him any questions for r.a.s.?

Bill Daniels

Old April 21st 04, 10:02 PM
Bill Zaleski

Yes, ask him how he is going to comply with the regulation:

No certificated parachute rigger may pack a parachute that has not
been thoroughly dried and aired.

Normal manufacturer's instructions call for an 8 hour airing.

Perhaps he is airing it in advance? Hope so.

Bill Z. Master Rigger

Old April 21st 04, 11:00 PM
Bill Daniels

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message
Yes, ask him how he is going to comply with the regulation:

No certificated parachute rigger may pack a parachute that has not
been thoroughly dried and aired.

Normal manufacturer's instructions call for an 8 hour airing.

Perhaps he is airing it in advance? Hope so.

Bill Z. Master Rigger

Now, why would you assume that? Do you have some reason to think that he
wouldn't comply? Is there something about your profession you want to tell
us?

I left it in his loft yesterday for drying.

Bill Daniels

Old April 21st 04, 11:16 PM
Nolaminar

Ask him about aging canopy problems. Is there an official "striking" date/age
or is it left up to the individaul packer.
GA
Old April 22nd 04, 01:13 AM
Jim Vincent

I'm invited to watch him repack my
'chute in front of the class.

Can I ask him any questions for r.a.s.?

On your own behalf, if you have never jumped, you can ask him where you can go
for a jump. Even if it is just a tandem jump, the experience itself will
answer many questions.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old April 22nd 04, 02:40 AM
Bill Daniels

I did jump once. It did answer a lot of questions. Mainly, I learned that
I don't EVER want to do that again.

Bill Daniels

Old April 22nd 04, 03:09 AM
Bill Zaleski

Perfect, Bill. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just that I
have seen many times in 35 years of rigging that this rule is not
always observed or even thought of at times. Good luck with your
repack and flights!

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:00:16 GMT, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

.. .

Old April 22nd 04, 03:26 AM
Eric Greenwell

Jim Vincent wrote:
I'm invited to watch him repack my
'chute in front of the class.

Can I ask him any questions for r.a.s.?

On your own behalf, if you have never jumped, you can ask him where you can go
for a jump. Even if it is just a tandem jump, the experience itself will
answer many questions.

What questions do you think we should we have?

Here's a question I have: has there ever been a glider pilot that said
after jumping out of a glider, "Boy, I wished I'd had a practice jump"?

My impression is those that get out of the glider are generally
successful, and I suspect practicing that will be much more valuable
than an actual jump. Practice could include weights to simulate G loads,
which might make many of us decide we need some strength training.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 22nd 04, 03:37 AM
Marc Ramsey

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Here's a question I have: has there ever been a glider pilot that said
after jumping out of a glider, "Boy, I wished I'd had a practice jump"?

I knew a couple of people who probably could have gotten out of the
glider, and survived, if they had tried, but they didn't. I did a few
static line jumps years ago, just to practice being willing to try...

Marc
Old April 22nd 04, 05:29 AM
Eric Greenwell

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:

Here's a question I have: has there ever been a glider pilot that said
after jumping out of a glider, "Boy, I wished I'd had a practice jump"?

I knew a couple of people who probably could have gotten out of the
glider, and survived, if they had tried, but they didn't. I did a few
static line jumps years ago, just to practice being willing to try...

Part of my thinking was practicing, really physically practicing exiting
the glider (meaning were you can actually jettision the canopy and roll
out, not just sit there and visualize it), and the thinking that goes
with it, might make a person more mentally ready to do it in a real
situation.

--
-----