Bonanza second row side window cracked - How?

Old June 8th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Bonanza second row side window cracked - How?

Today I spotted two four inch and one six inch vertical cracks in the side
window at the seat directly behind the pilot seat. The cracks are almost
perfectly straight and originate at the top frame more or less in the middle
of the window. The aircraft is a 1973 V35B and I would imagine that this
window is that old.

How does this happen? Old age? Cold to hot? Some other force that decided
that one month since my last aviation maintenance expenditure was too long?

--
Peter
Old June 8th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Peter R." wrote:

How does this happen? Old age? Cold to hot? Some other force that decided
that one month since my last aviation maintenance expenditure was too long?

Answer "C" is correct.

It is probably your fault for allowing your airplane to discover excess cash
in your bank account.

--
Dan

"WARNING! AVIATION EXPENSES MAY EXCEED INCOME!"

-startup screen on the GPS in my first airplane

Old June 8th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

I am going to guess it is temperature related.
How hot did it get in your hangar yesterday?

Old June 8th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc

What side is it? Is it the green color? If you want a used one, but in good
condition, you can have it for free if you figure out how to get it from
Wisconsin. I have a set of a windshield and side windows from my 19980 Baron
B-55, which I think are the same as your Bonanza.

Replacing a whole set is around $6,000.

Old June 8th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Viperdoc" wrote)
What side is it? Is it the green color? If you want a used one, but in
good condition, you can have it for free if you figure out how to get it
from Wisconsin. I have a set of a windshield and side windows from my
19980 Baron B-55, which I think are the same as your Bonanza.

Replacing a whole set is around $6,000.

Is it curved (bubble-convex) ....not flat?

I would think a Shipping Store would do a good job of packing it - for a
little extra. :-)

(Box) (in a box) (in a box) each surrounded by packing peanuts. Final
(((box))) as big
as a medium size microwave (box) at Best Buy.

They might charge $45 ....Total.

Mont

Old June 8th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
Today I spotted two four inch and one six inch vertical cracks in the side
window at the seat directly behind the pilot seat. The cracks are almost
perfectly straight and originate at the top frame more or less in the
middle
of the window. The aircraft is a 1973 V35B and I would imagine that this
window is that old.

Do they originate from the area around the hinges?

How does this happen? Old age? Cold to hot? Some other force that decided
that one month since my last aviation maintenance expenditure was too
long?

If they migrate to/from the hinge, I'd guess an inordinate sideload (stress
fracture).

Old June 8th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 6/8/2007 8:39:15 AM, john smith wrote:

I am going to guess it is temperature related.
How hot did it get in your hangar yesterday?

Early in the week temperatures dipped into the lower 40s (degrees F) at
night, but the aircraft was in a community hangar that most likely doesn't
drop below 60 or so, assuming the door remained closed (this hangar located
in Buffalo, NY - where I travel during the week for work). On Thursday, the
day I departed, the temperature climbed up to around 85.

--
Peter
Old June 8th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 6/8/2007 8:44:52 AM, "Viperdoc" wrote:

What side is it? Is it the green color? If you want a used one, but in
good condition, you can have it for free if you figure out how to get it
from Wisconsin. I have a set of a windshield and side windows from my
19980 Baron B-55, which I think are the same as your Bonanza.

Thank you for your very generous offer, Viperdoc. The window is the left
side, just behind the pilot's seat and is the one that also acts as an
emergency exit for that row of seats. The current window is not tinted at
all.

Earlier today I called the mechanic and received a quote for US $185 for a
new one (labor extra), then just went ahead and ordered it.

In the future, though, we may be in touch.

--
Peter
Old June 8th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 6/8/2007 6:41:28 AM, "Dan Luke" wrote:

It is probably your fault for allowing your airplane to discover excess
cash in your bank account.

Ha. Once again, pilot error.

--
Peter
Old June 8th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Having replaced all of the windows recently, you are probably lucky that it
is the side window that opens. Regardless, the amount of work involved is
pretty extensive, and getting a good seal afterwards can be a challenge.

Saturn V S-IC (first) stage are placed side by side prior to commencement of the mating of the two stages 6416485.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:28 AM
For Mitchell Holman, if you want them... - F-15 & F-16 on pedestals WPAFB side by side.JPG (1/1) Blue Oval/Dan Edwards Aviation Photos 4 January 19th 07 01:19 AM
Side window install Jim Burns Owning 3 August 11th 05 03:59 PM
Is That a Resistor Wired Between the Hot Side and the Switch Side of the Solenoid? jls Owning 3 April 11th 04 04:55 PM
FS: Piper Side Window (New) JimC Aviation Marketplace 0 August 10th 03 12:19 PM