Passed the checkride, now I need a good GPS, and passenger headset

Old July 1st 05, 03:54 AM
C. Osbourne

Default Passed the checkride, now I need a good GPS, and passenger headset

YIPPEE! I'm now a private pilot!

I took and passed, the private pilot checkride on Tuesday.
What a relief! It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought I'd
be, and went very well.

Now I need an aviation GPS and 'Guest Headset', and I'm
hoping that readers of this list will have recommendations
about what to get, and where to buy it. Yes, I've seen
the eBay auctions, and I'm thinking of a higher end GPS,
maybe even color.

Any suggestions or experiences with specific models and
vendors will greatly help!

Please answer here.

Old July 1st 05, 05:24 AM
Jay Honeck

Congrats! You have achieved something most humans never dream of....

As far as a headset purchase, you NEVER buy a "guest" headset. Rather, you
buy yourself the latest and greatest, thus relegating your old headset to
"guest" status.

:-)

I can't recommend enough the Lightspeed Twenty 3G. It's got great ANR,
bass, treble, and balance controls (it's stereo, of course) and a built-in
cell-phone (or MP3) input.

Best of all, it's proven to be extremely durable, unlike earlier Lightspeed
models.

As far as GPS goes, if you're looking for color, you can't go wrong with the
AvMap. (See http://www.avmapnavigation.com/) We've flown behind the AvMap
IIIC's giant color screen for almost two years now (it's STILL the biggest
color screen on the market, although the IV looks even better), and have
never been happier. It absolutely changed the way we fly, and contains
everything -- radio frequencies, instrument approaches, ground obstructions,
you name it.

Good luck, and have fun!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 05, 12:12 PM
Cub Driver

I have not been particularly happy with my Garmin 296, though it's fun
to play with on the ground. Often I find myself yearning for the
little Toblerone bar of the Garmin III+, which I see is still
available as a Garmin 5 or V.

Tell you what: give me a Garmin 5 and a thousand bucks, and the 296 is
yours.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old July 2nd 05, 03:47 AM
dave

I just bought a ANR headset from Pacific Coast Avionics. Its a Light
Speed with their name on it.
It was $249.00/
Lots cheaper than the branded model and same exact headset.
Should have done it sooner.

I'm one cheap *******, but this was well worth it.

Congrats and keep flying!!

Dave

Old July 2nd 05, 03:53 AM

i've been flying for about 30 years now and wonder how many folks are
still flying without owning an airplane.

My question is : How many people still fly after five years and
haven't/don't own an airplane?

Dave
Old July 2nd 05, 03:17 PM
Gene Seibel

Rented for 3 years. Have owned for 25.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old July 2nd 05, 06:58 PM
Darrell S

I've flown for almost 50 years and have never owned an airplane. I no
longer have a medical so I haven't flown much lately. Only when I go up
with my friend who owns an airplane.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/