Flying and the New Family

Old December 12th 03, 10:01 PM
Marco Leon

Default Flying and the New Family

Hi all. I've noticed a considerable decrease in flight hours since my son
was born a little over a year ago. My wife is also 5 months pregnant with
another so flying time may suffer further decline. I'm wondering...what are
some of your experiences during the life-changing event of a new family and
flying? Did you start flying more often after the kids hit a certain age?
What did you do to find more time?

I found that I can get *some* more flying in by waking up at 5:30 Saturday
morning or flying after 10 PM on other nights. Don't get me wrong, I love my
family and thank God for everything but darnit, I love flying too!

Thoughts?

Regards,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 12th 03, 10:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Thoughts?

Take 'em along!

My son has been flying since he was a toddler, and my daughter has flown
since birth. It's somewhat of a military operation, getting them loaded in
the plane -- but that's no different then EVERYTHING else in your life, with
little kids.

Just takes more planning....

And it *does* pass. To be replaced by whining, which, in turn, is
supplanted by surliness.

I can hardly wait to see what's next! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 10:09 PM
Jim

Make an agreement with your wife. Agree upon one time per week that is your
flying time. If she objects, offer her the same amount of time to do
something by herself while you watch the kids. Works pretty good for me.
My wife goes to school 2 nights per week, I teach a ground school 2 nights
per week. One of those nights we are both gone and a babysitter is offered
up as a sacrifice to our two wonderful cannibalistic children. I also get
to hang out at the airport Sunday mornings and/or fly, some of which my son
accompanies me.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 12th 03, 10:16 PM
Don Tuite

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:08:30 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I can hardly wait to see what's next! :-)

They go away, and you wonder: "The first twenty years of *my* life
took a century to happen; how could theirs have gone by so fast?"

Don
Old December 12th 03, 10:17 PM
Jim

Yep, bundle them up, transfer everything from your minivan to the airplane,
and take 'em along. Just like travelling in a car, you'll figure out what
you need to take and what you don't.

you forgot fighting in between the whinning and the surliness.... but
nothing a few minutes outside in a chilly Wisconsin winter doesn't solve in
a hurry... summer time the garden hose can always come out nahhh.... I
wouldn't do that! evil grin
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 12th 03, 10:23 PM
Maule Driver

We don't have kids but when were in our 20s and 30s it was hard for us to
imagine doing anything that would impact flying (glider racing) time.

More recently, we spent 4-5 years aggressively using our Maule to travel to
see friends and recreate *every* weekend. Lot's of flying and lots of fun.

Now we aren't glilder flying. Now we are flying the Maule twice a month ...
mostly.
But do we feel like we are losing our love for flying? Not a bit. Stuff
changes. Now our flying is fully integrated into our life and therefore it
changes just like our lives do. Big difference now is there are no regrets,
no fear.

I can only imagine that kids and a growing family changes everything. So I
guess one has to just let it change and not worry about the flying - it will
find its natural role in one's life.

Jack Nicholson in the this month's 50th anniversary issue of Playboy (I only
get it for the articles...not) said, "When people are worried about having
kids, I always say, 'Don't worry about it, because this is natures's only
guaranteed, bon fide upside surprise' ".

Old December 12th 03, 10:36 PM
Jim

More recently, we spent 4-5 years aggressively using our Maule to travel
see friends and recreate *every* weekend. Lot's of flying and lots of

fun.

Huh? recreate every weekend??!! now THAT is a short gestation period!! I
thought our first one popped out early at only 7 1/2 months!
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 12th 03, 10:59 PM
Nasir

"Jim" wrote in message
More recently, we spent 4-5 years aggressively using our Maule to travel

see friends and recreate *every* weekend. Lot's of flying and lots of

fun.

Huh? recreate every weekend??!! now THAT is a short gestation period!! I
thought our first one popped out early at only 7 1/2 months!

I think he meant REcreate (as in recreation), not PROcreate..or did I miss
the joke completely?

Nasir