Publicity for Soaring in Texas

Old January 14th 14, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Publicity for Soaring in Texas

Another informative article about the "Marfa Dry Line", my soaring operation and pilot training at "Marfa Gliders" in southwest Texas, in the February 2014 "Big Bend" print and web issue of "Texas Highways" magazine at:

http://texashighways.com/travel/item/7281-gliding-high

This travel article was written by Chet Garner, the "Day Tripper" who also produced a video segment on Marfa Gliders in 2012, which has enjoyed wide distribution and repetitive broadcasts on PBS television stations.

How was I so lucky? More than buying an advert in a magazine and waiting for the response, over the years I have actively contacted editors of travel magazines, aviation publications and newspaper and television "lifestyle" writers. I've been mentioned in Pilot Getaways, Flying, AAA Travel, Texas Monthly, the travel sections of the Dallas, Austin and Houston newspapers, the New York Times and more.

You can do it too. Offer a short, comfortable ride (don't make them sick with an extended "soaring flight" or acro. Perhaps do that on the second flight.) Welcome everyone who shows up at your airport. They may be a published writer, TV producer, movie location scout, film director, Oscar winning actor or famous musician. Those are just a few of the people who have contacted me in recent years, along with the lovely not-so-famous and wonderfully ordinary folks, to ask about a glider ride. Respond to their calls and e-mails promptly and "ask for the sale."

Brief your staff or club members to be ready to meet and greet your potential customers and our future glider pilots. Let's lose the "elitist", "cold-shoulder", "clique" mystique that some of us have unknowingly created as our public image.

So I've got another shot of free publicity with this new "Texas Highways" magazine and web article. Happy to report that my e-mail inbox is filling up with more-than-usual inquires for rides and flight instruction (year-round) at Marfa, the 15th National Landmark of Soaring as designated by the National Soaring Museum.

Come soar with me soon at this historic site, because "someday" is now!
(Ask about your FREE glider rating checkride with me at Marfa, now to March 31, 2014.)

Burt Compton, Master Flight Instructor / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, in southwest Texas USA
www.flygliders.com
Old January 14th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Very nice, Burt!

-John
Old January 17th 14, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kit Davidson

Old January 19th 14, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John A

I have wanted to visit Marfa in the past with the thought of learning soaring, but the impression I get from your website is that your operation is for non-beginning pilots, except for the rides you provide.

How are you converting the uptick in inquiries into business, is it mainly rides?
Old January 19th 14, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:18:28 AM UTC-6, John A wrote:
I have wanted to visit Marfa in the past with the thought of learning soaring, but the impression I get from your website is that your operation is for non-beginning pilots, except for the rides you provide.

How are you converting the uptick in inquiries into business, is it mainly rides?

Thanks for asking. Business is very good year-round, both with rides and helping glider students or transition airplane pilots finish their glider ratings by taking some final training and then the FAA checkride with me. Note that I keep "Marfa Gliders" relatively small for safety and profitability. I will take beginner, non-pilot students but since it would takes many days of training at my relatively remote location in southwest Texas it isn't often I get the opportunity (and the satisfaction as a flight instructor) to teach someone to soar, from the beginning. Contact me directly to discuss the possibilities by e-mail at marfagliders at aol dot com

You can also research the many soaring sites and glider flight schools around the USA at the Soaring Society of America website, www.ssa.org Click on the interactive "Where To Fly" map.

Old January 19th 14, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Burt,

Please consider hosting a contest at Marfa someday soon. After watching the Sunship Game 100 times (along with 99% of the soaring community), I would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to fly at Marfa. What a blast that would be!

Thoughts?

Sean

Old January 19th 14, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:00:26 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
[...]

After looking at the website I am not sure one needs a crew over there.

Quote from the website
"I do not provide any aerotow retrieves or drive your trailer out to find you.

Why?

Reasons include the rough terrain, lack of landable fields, few suitable airports or ranch airstrips (wide enough for your wingspan — see the El Paso Sectional Aero Chart.)"

Does not sound too exciting ...

Old January 19th 14, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

After looking at the website I am not sure one needs crew over there.

Quote from the website
"I do not provide any aerotow retrieves or drive your trailer out to find you.

Why?

Reasons include the rough terrain, lack of landable fields, few suitable airports or ranch airstrips (wide enough for your wingspan — see the El Paso Sectional Aero Chart.)"

Does not sound too exciting ...

Texas soaring association jeplane Soaring 4 April 18th 12 03:05 AM
Soaring in Boerne Texas Duster Soaring 2 July 19th 08 03:21 PM
Soaring for charity - another way to give us some publicity 5Z Soaring 3 September 14th 07 03:44 AM
Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
Soaring high over Marfa, Texas Burt Compton Soaring 0 April 23rd 04 02:57 PM