Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 16th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

One annoyance of the 430 is that activating an approach will
immediately set a course for the selected IAF (assuming RV not
selected). What I would like to do is append the approach to my
current flightplan so that I can transition en route to the approach
without further programming. But I'm concerned that a loaded,
unactivated approach will cause the 430 not to switch to approach
senstivity. I tried this in the simulator and found that it seems to
work fine, the sensitivity changes 2nm from the FAF and all is well;
but I'm hesistant to start using the method in the A/C.
Can someone else verify that it is ok? What method do you use?