Puchaz spin - now wearing 'chutes

Old February 12th 04, 12:46 PM
Jim Vincent

just out of interest, how many of those of us who wear
chutes, use a deployment line attached to that odd
looking ring usually found by your left shoulder?

Be very careful about this. The parachutes we use in gliders are not designed
for static line deployment; they're designed for the pull of a hand in a
particular direction. If you rig a static line directly to the ripcord, you
risk a very good chance of just ripping off the handle.

On a parachute, the container is kept closed by little cones and rings. The
ring goes through the cone, and in the case of a ripcord, there is a pin going
through a hole in the cone to keep the cone in place. For static line, a piece
of line is wrapped around the static line and then through the hole in the
cone. When you jump out, the pull of the static line breaks the thin piece of
line, releasing the pilot chute.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old February 12th 04, 04:19 PM
Bert Willing

There are parachutes for static lines used in gliders (although less and
less) and manual ones.

To this whole discussion :
- it's almost impossible to retrofit a BRS to a glider
- that means that BRS will only be installed in gliders with a "crashworthy"
cockpit
- the only thing I'm really afraid of in soaring are midairs. Having a
midair in the Alps in the vivinity of a ridge, a BRS is basically the only
option to survive.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

Old February 13th 04, 01:01 AM
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:19:58 +0100, "Bert Willing"
wrote:

There are parachutes for static lines used in gliders (although less and
less) and manual ones.

To this whole discussion :
- it's almost impossible to retrofit a BRS to a glider
- that means that BRS will only be installed in gliders with a "crashworthy"
cockpit
- the only thing I'm really afraid of in soaring are midairs. Having a
midair in the Alps in the vivinity of a ridge, a BRS is basically the only
option to survive.

Right on the spot.

I have to admit that I'd prefer the Soteira system (a rocket that
pulls the pilot out of the glider). There's a cause why ejection seats
are used and not parachutes to save a complete B-52...

Bye
Andreas
Old February 13th 04, 11:12 AM
Pete Zeugma

I dont think this is as great a problem as Jim made
out.

All the chutes ive worn have the cable from the handle
channelled through a flexible steel pipe which is secured
to the shoulder strap through to the release pin inside
the chute. The pipe ensures that the direction of pull
is always the same, irrispective of the way you pull
the handle. The force to pull out the pin is not too
great, certainly considerably less than it would take
to tear the steel hose off the shoulder strap, or break
the swage that holds the handle onto the release wire.
The static line just simply acts as your hand as you
go over the side or get thrown clear.

How many seconds would we waste in free fall before
we got to pull the handle (let alone find it again!)?

What happens if in a mid air collision, you have your
arms injured such you can bearly just release the buckles
and canopy?

I think it would be great if those amongst us wrote
up their glider bail-out experiences...........