Which would draw more juice? A glass display Dynon Efis-D100 or regular style "Steam Gauges" that are electric.

Old September 30th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Which would draw more juice? A glass display Dynon Efis-D100 or regular style "Steam Gauges" that are electric.

I'm wondering if a Glass display like Dynon's (or others), with all the
hook-ups,would draw more or less Amps then say,individually mounted
analog (electric) gauges?

We are talking instrument for instrument here,for example a standard
"six pack".

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Old September 30th 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

Poorly phrased question... in a light general aviation plane the items
that you are replacing with a glass display tend not to be powered at
all by electricity with the sole exception of the turn coordinator.

Altimeter: functions mechanically by changing ambient pressure

Airspeed Indicator: functions mechanically by changes in pitot probe
pressure

Vertical Speed Indicator: again.. mechanically driven by pressure
differences across an orfice.

Artificial Horizon/Attitude Indicator: Gyroscopic indicator, either
driven by vacuum from a vacuum pump, or electric in the higher end models

Directional Gyro/GyroCompass: Gyroscopic Indicator, either driven by
vacuum or electric...as above.

Turn Coordinator: in most GA planes tends to be electric, but vacuum
models exist in older platforms. Some of the devices for sale new list
power draws in the 4-8 amp range but I cannot speak with authority.

All the little gauges that you can replace with efis-like glass displays
are all essentially voltmeters that operate on milliamps of current, so
their power draw is negligible.

The dynon d-100 uses 12 watts in normal ops and 24 watts if charging its
optional internal battery. In a 12 volt plane that is 1 and 2 amps
respectively.

If you had a plane with ALL gyros powered by vacuum, then in theory the
glass could be a step towards greater power draw, however negligble 1
amp is.. but by replacing even one electric gryo you may be dropping the
power draw to 25% or more of previous levels.

I dont know what you mean by "all the hookups".. the back of the dynon
has a couple plugs for tubing (pitot static) and ONE 25 pin connector
that goes to a power lead, a ground, a computer serial port for software
upgrades, a buss for communicating with other Dynons, and a couple wires
that CAN go to an external magnetometer and temp probe. All solid state,
low power draw.

Latest versions can utilize the serial port connection to take signal
data and display VOR/ILS data now.. and again.. most of these signals
are millivolt potentials and milliamp current.

The back of my King GPS has a 25 pin connector and 37 pin connector,
with wires goin everywhere.. The nav coms have oodles (at least 40-50)
of wires coming out the back end as well. In comparison, the Dynon is
likely to be the EASIEST device to wire into the whole plane... and
likely draw the least current of any of my panel mounted electrical devices.

Blue Skies,
Dave

Old September 30th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Dave,
I'll take the question one step further. What would the weight
differnce be?
Lou

Old September 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

Lou wrote:
Dave,
I'll take the question one step further. What would the weight
differnce be?
Lou

No freakin idea..

You can get the specs for a Dynon from www.dynonavionics.com

You will have to find the individual weights of all the components you
are replacing on your own.