AC-4 Russia newsgroup question

Old December 10th 19, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AC-4 Russia newsgroup question

Yahoo is shutting down its newsgroups, of which there has been an active one for Russia owners. Has any of files and photos been moved somewhere else? Over time, I have placed a lot of photos and files that improve on the glider, and would be a pity if this information were lost.
Old December 10th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 4:18:29 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 12/10/2019 1:06 PM:
Yahoo is shutting down its newsgroups, of which there has been an active one for Russia owners. Has any of files and photos been moved somewhere else? Over time, I have placed a lot of photos and files that improve on the glider, and would be a pity if this information were lost.

Search RAS. There was plenty of discussion in November. Do it immediately, as I
believe Yahoo is shutting things down mid-December.

The big problem is finding the 'owner'. If you have her/him, it's not that bad. I did one manually (SZD-55 users) and one club one with easy transfer that cost some but we saved 20 years of history... We went to groups.io . Highly recommended. You have until 14 December 2019 to submit the request or you lose everything.

Dan
2D
Old December 11th 19, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:06:31 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Yahoo is shutting down its newsgroups, of which there has been an active one for Russia owners. Has any of files and photos been moved somewhere else? Over time, I have placed a lot of photos and files that improve on the glider, and would be a pity if this information were lost.

The AC4 group owner and I downloaded the content. He was unable to revive his owner account, so there was no ask for the $250 or so being demanded from groups.io, nor the ability to add the admin user to the group, which was required. The content will reappear at some point. I need to respond to a message or two from the group owner.

I received this yesterday.

Dear Group Moderators and Members,

Last month we notified you of the changes coming to Yahoo Groups that better align with user habits, and today we are providing an update to guide you through the next steps of the transition. Yahoo Groups is not going away - but we are making adjustments to ultimately serve you better. We are amazed at the vibrant community you’ve created through Yahoo Groups and we want to make sure you feel supported as we introduce these changes.

The following changes were made since our last communication:

• Users can now only join a Yahoo Group through an invite or group request approval by the Group Moderator.
• New Groups can’t be public. They can only be private (not listed in Groups directory, membership by invitation only) or restricted (listed in Groups directory, membership requests must be approved by a Group Moderator).
• Members must share all content via email, and can no longer upload or host new content on the Yahoo Groups website itself.

The following changes will be made on December 14, 2019:

• Public groups will no longer exist. All existing public Groups will become restricted Groups that require Group Moderator approval to join.
• Any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed.

If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing the Groups Download Manager at this link. Once you provide your preferred email address, we will send you a confirmation of your download request and notify you once the download is complete.

You will receive a link to a downloadable zip file via email for each of your Groups organized into a separate folder. Download time varies depending on the amount of information and file size.

If your download request is made by 11:59pm PST on Saturday, December 14, 2019, your content will not be deleted until your download is complete. We are unable to accommodate any download requests made after this deadline.

This is the final reminder to download your content. You can find additional information about the upcoming changes here.

We have worked extensively with our customer support team to develop recommendations for tools that can help you with any download issues. See help article here.

We have watched the evolution of Yahoo Groups with awe, as we grew to a community of millions with over 10 million Groups. Every day, we witness the power of community and shared passions, and our mission is to provide a platform for the strong connections people make with each other around their interests.

We thank you for being part of the Yahoo Groups community and look forward to continuing to provide ways for you to connect with one another about your shared interests and passions.

Sincerely,
The Groups Team

New landing spots should be added to this list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...miE/edit#gid=0

Happy landings,

Frank Whiteley

This newsgroup Mark Piloting 71 May 24th 11 10:11 AM
Obstructing Justice: Chemical Ali must be freed. Russia! Demandhis release to Russia. The crime was committed with a cianide blood basedagent provided by Nazi Israeli David E. Powell Naval Aviation 4 January 20th 10 07:51 AM
Obstructing Justice: Chemical Ali must be freed. Russia! Demand his release to Russia. The crime was committed with a cianide blood based agent provided by Nazi Israeli Dennis[_6_] Naval Aviation 0 January 20th 10 06:16 AM
RAH newsgroup [email protected] Home Built 16 February 16th 05 10:14 PM
Newsgroup question Vygg Rotorcraft 1 August 29th 04 06:42 PM