Want simple flight planning software

Old October 2nd 04, 07:05 PM
marc

Default Want simple flight planning software

I'm looking for a simple flight planning program or link to do some long
cross country, short leg vfr flying. Something simple, without weight and
balance computation or having to put in fuel burn and power setting. Don't
need any graphics. Just a flight log type that uses an airport database.

There was once an online flight planner that would produce a cross-country
log with route, heading, and airports just by putting in maximum legs,
average airspeed, and max altitude. It would compute the route making
allowances or detours for moa and longest legs for fuel stops. This was
great for planning an ultralight type cross-country. It wouldn't tilt if
you didn't put in all the info. It would work with the info you put in, if
it was enough.

I think the online site went commercial or to a commercial program. I would
buy it if I could find it.

I know this has been asked before, but a Google search did not produce the
answer I was looking for.

I know how to plan without it. It would be a convenience tool to get
started planning. The reason I mention this is that some of these type
questions got to be 100 plus answers on how to plan a flight, all of which
had nothing to do with the topic.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Marc

remove x and next four before at

Old October 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
Bob Chilcoat

AOPA's online flight planner is about as easy as they come to use, and does
more than you want. If you're not an AOPA member you should be.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old October 3rd 04, 02:03 AM
marc

Thanks, Bob. I really don't want to do too much more. I don't want to join
an organization to use the
program, but I would like to buy it if I could find it.

When I mean simple, I didn't mean I am mentally challenged in flight
planning. I just wanted the convenience of the program.

Marc
cmsel/instruments

Old October 3rd 04, 02:51 AM
RSwanson

I have exactly what you need. It's called NavMate. It does run in a DOS
window, but does a very good job.
It's available from the FAA at:
http://www.faa.gov/FSDO/ORL/fltpln.htm
Enjoy,

Old October 3rd 04, 03:17 AM
ArtP

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 21:51:30 -0400, "RSwanson"
wrote:

It's available from the FAA at:
http://www.faa.gov/FSDO/ORL/fltpln.htm

Interesting site, but why so many different flight planning programs?
Old October 3rd 04, 04:54 AM
keepitrunning

"marc" wrote in message
I'm looking for a simple flight planning program or link to do some long
cross country, short leg vfr flying. Something simple,

Take a look at Airnav, it is my favorite:
http://www.airnav.com/

Click on aviation fuel, and then plan a flight with fuel stops

Old October 4th 04, 04:43 AM
FIyer111

I think the airnav.com site is exactly what you're looking for.

Old October 4th 04, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Marc,

AOPA's Real Time flightplanner or Duat's Golden Eagle Flight Prep. Both
free (the former requires membership, though). The former only works
online, as I understand it.

Oh, and Bob's right: You should be an AOPA member anyway.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 1st 04, 03:05 PM
pourquoipas

As far as I am concern, the best and free one is PocketFMS that could
be download at http://www.pocketfms.com/ . Use it on your PC for fly
planing. If you have a pocketPC and a GPS, you have the perfect
system.

For user of Magellan 315 or yellow SporTrak, they have an aeronautical
database. Visit http://pages.videotron.com/smdaoust/gpsnav/ it is for
canadian pilots but there is links for american and european pilots.

.. On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:05:05 GMT, "marc"