Can I fly it at night?

Old January 6th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Can I fly it at night?

Whatever the OP decides to do, I am interested in knowing how it all works
out.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict...

Old January 6th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

If the wing wires are indeed installed, 90% of the work is already done..

We ran wires in Leo's BC12D Tailorcraft using 1/4 x 1/2 inch spruced capstrip
stock as a pusher. We worked the wires from one inspection plate to the next.
His wings already had the bulbs installed - but no wires. Go figure...

Somebody else already mentioned the light socket question. The bulbs (12 volt
only) and mounts are available from Aircraft Spruce.

A Plain Jane pair of tip lights ruin a hundred bucks or more.
Fancy ones are available with built in strobes (!)

I'm curious if the strobes would fill the anti collision ewquirement?

We didn't rig up a rotating collision light.
But a small roller from an EMS/police supplier (or your local truck stop?)
should prove serviceable. Or dig deeper and get a "real" one.

Mounting it is problematic. Depends on the light, and the airplane.

Where would you put it on a Champ? On the belly metal?

Your choice of power sources. Wind driven generators are heavy
(at least the originals were!) and add a lot of drag.

A Gel Cell 12 volt battery is the simplest solution.
And it is not necessarily a permanent installation. (Think "Hand Held")

One last thought...

How will you light the panel?

Richard

Old January 6th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard Lamb wrote:

I'm curious if the strobes would fill the anti collision ewquirement?

Yes. Maules come that way from the factory.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

Old January 7th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 4 Jan 2006 09:39:41 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

In this case the type certificate doesn't make a difference. The FAA
current FARs seem to require a strobe for night flying. Its not like
college catalog rights, FAA FARs don't grant historic rights.

Welll... Kinda. I have wing tip position lights, but no rotating
beacon. Just top and bottom strobes which are legal in that old
airplane.

Never plan on a single landing light working.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

-Robert

Old January 11th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

But that means there was "factory-CAA/FAA" approved
documentation for LIGHTS and AC43.13 includes FAA
instructions for "acceptable practices" to add a battery
box, generators, switches and such other items of equipment.
I did not say at any time that it was as simple as putting a
Ford rear end in a Chevy, but I also gave the current FAA
procedures for beginning the field approval process...
It begins with research of regulations, previously approved
installations of similar types, manufacturers assistance,
writing a manual and creation of checklists, maintenance
procedures and placards, getting approval and finally;
actually doing the modification and approving for "return to
service."

Actually, you pretty much did say that it was as simple as putting a Ford
rear end in a Chevy. You just substituted "alternator" and "generator" for
"Ford" and "Chevy". The point is a field approval is often not as simple as
you seem to believe.

Old January 13th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

It depends a great deal on HOW you go about it. I have averaged four or
five field approvals every year for the last ten or so years and never had
one fail to get approved the first time. You do have to get all of your
ducks in a row and make sure you use good data. It also helps to discuss
what you are trying to do with your PMI at the FSDO and make sure you pay
attention to the PMI's suggestions. Make sure you have your "Instructions
for Continued Airworthiness" in order and don't skip any of the sixteen
required entries. They can be done. I have done several alternator field
approvals.

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

FAA PPL night flight requirement - does it have to be DUAL? Peter Clark Piloting 21 January 6th 05 12:38 AM
Night solo XC? G. Burkhart Piloting 51 October 14th 04 03:11 PM
Night of the bombers - the most daring special mission of Finnishbombers in WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 4 March 22nd 04 11:19 PM