Can I fly it at night?

Old January 4th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Can I fly it at night?

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
No, "or which has not subsequently been certified with such a system
installed"

91.215(b)
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(2) of this section, any aircraft
which^M
was not originally certificated with an engine-driven electrical
system or^M
which has not subsequently been certified with such a system
installed,^M

Added on after the fact is not "subsequently been certified with such a
system." That is from the local FSDO.

Old January 5th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

True, but a modern alternator will produce power at lower
rpm which means less drag. Also it should have lower frontal
area and internal cooling drag. Alternators don't need
heavy cast iron housings and w/o a commutator, should be
electrically quieter.

Ag planes often use a wind driven pump, so getting a proper
prop isn't difficult, just tell the prop shop how many watts
and what a/s, etc.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Morgans" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
|
| You can drive the alternator with a propeller just like
the
| old generator, it just makes power with less drag.
|
| You do need to use a special propeller, that is designed
for converting
| thrust into power, instead of power into thrust. The more
curved surface
| needs to be on the backside of the airstream, unlike a
regular prop.

| For a generator, you can use a 12 volt motor with magnets
in it, and a

Old January 5th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Someone mentioned the LED anti-collision light, I know Whelen offers LED nav
lights as well. Perhaps a call to them to find out what the draw would be
for anti-collision and the 3 nav lights to make him legal and safe, then see
what the different scenarios would be (i.e. a fully charged, 15 pound gel
cell battery might run those lights reliably for 3 hours). The light retro
would be a little costly, but it would be a simple system to maintain,
versus introducing an alternator or generator, and a belt or propellor or
whatever else you might need to run the thing.

Old January 5th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Macklin wrote:
True, but a modern alternator will produce power at lower
rpm which means less drag. Also it should have lower frontal
area and internal cooling drag. Alternators don't need
heavy cast iron housings and w/o a commutator, should be
electrically quieter.

Ag planes often use a wind driven pump, so getting a proper
prop isn't difficult, just tell the prop shop how many watts
and what a/s, etc.

This one say 6 amps (yep, not much, but a lot more than nothing) at
85mph, weighs 5 lbs and is 5" diameter. Seven hundred bucks though...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/turboalt.php

Let's see... a lot more expensive than another battery, but a lot
lighter too.
Old January 5th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

for standard aircraft bulbs, figure about 1-1/2 amp each for tip and tail
lights.

And a 12 volt 15 AH gell cell beats a generator - for simplicity and
reliability...

Richard

Old January 5th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"karel" wrote in message

Excuse me if I am in a bad mood tonight
but this "answer" does not answer any of O/P's questions.

I didn't realize responses without "answers" were prohibited.

Whether something is worth the trouble is up to him to judge,
your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

The relevancy of my opinion with regard to his project is up to him to
judge. Your opinion on the relevancy of my opinion with regard to his
project is irrelevant.

When he asked what is required for short local flights,
who needs wonder if he'll be content with that tomorrow?

Him.

Actually, can _you_ tell what you'll be content with tomorrow?

Yes.

And if you recommend him to buy another plane, are you going to pay for
it?

No.

Again, my apologies if this sounds rude, it is not meant so.

You don't sound rude, you just sound stupid.

Only I would request all and sundry to either bring useable answers,
or keep silence.

Request denied.

For myself I don't have the slightest knowledge
on these matters, so I keep my trap shut.

But you didn't keep your trap shut. If you don't have the slightest
knowledge on these matters how can you judge what is a useful response?

Old January 5th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote in message

BTW, IIRC, SPM flys something similar to the OP's '41 Chief.

I fly a 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion, but not at night.

Old January 5th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ET" wrote in message

The airplane may have had an external wind-driven generator
originally, you could restore that with a modern alternator
at the cost of a 1 or 2 mph.

But with a "modern alternator" you now have an engine driven electrical
system, and all of the requirements that go along with it...
(transponder within mode c veil).

Not if the "modern alternator" is used in a restoration of the external
wind-driven generator. But that wouldn't be a restoration, that would be a
conversion.

Old January 5th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

You can drive the alternator with a propeller just like the
old generator, it just makes power with less drag.

Maybe you can, maybe you can't. This is a certificated airplane, not a
homebuilt.

Old January 5th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Field approval. No doubt there is an approved wind
generator from the 1940s. The conversion should be a simple
matter, even on a certificated airplane.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
nk.net...

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

| You can drive the alternator with a propeller just like
the
| old generator, it just makes power with less drag.
|

| Maybe you can, maybe you can't. This is a certificated
airplane, not a
| homebuilt.

FAA PPL night flight requirement - does it have to be DUAL? Peter Clark Piloting 21 January 6th 05 12:38 AM
Night solo XC? G. Burkhart Piloting 51 October 14th 04 03:11 PM
Night of the bombers - the most daring special mission of Finnishbombers in WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 4 March 22nd 04 11:19 PM