Any Hornet / Hornet C owners.

Old August 31st 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Wrinkle

Default Any Hornet / Hornet C owners.

I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help me out!

Thanks
Old August 31st 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 12:28:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help me out!

Thanks

I've got a Mosquito, similar, but different.
Scott
Old August 31st 20, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Wrinkle

On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 2:26:39 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 12:28:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help me out!

Thanks

I've got a Mosquito, similar, but different.
Scott

Thx Scott, I really need the size of the wing locking pin for a Hornet. Diameter / Length... along with a pic of what the wing tool looks like. There isn't a way to be sure if the sizes are the same with the Libelle, and or Mosquito.

Old August 31st 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 7:04:11 AM UTC+12, wrote:
On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 2:26:39 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 12:28:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help me out!

Thanks

I've got a Mosquito, similar, but different.
Scott

Thx Scott, I really need the size of the wing locking pin for a Hornet. Diameter / Length... along with a pic of what the wing tool looks like. There isn't a way to be sure if the sizes are the same with the Libelle, and or Mosquito.

I have a Hornet. The wing tool is the same as a Libelle. Sadly mine is missing and I have to use an 8 inch Crescent instead. Works OK if you're careful. Smaller Crescents aren't long enough and longer Crescents are too thick to engage with the little pins on the spar. When using the wing tool, don't use too much force, you can tear off the little pins. My glider had been owned by a club, and the little pins had been torn off by enthusiastic assemblers.

The wing is the same profile and platform as the libelle. The brakes and hookups are different. The little nubs on the spar for the wing tool are the same. The spar pin is the same.

--
Phil Plane
Old August 31st 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Wrinkle

Phil,

Is there any chance when you are out flying the next time you could measure the Wing Locking Pin diameter & Length? If not, I think we have a Libelle owner in the club I get ahold of. Also,
Any regrets about owning a Hornet? From what I can find out it appears to be a nice ship to fly.

Old September 1st 20, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Phil,

The Hornet and the Club Libelle have the same wing (and horizontal Stab). The airfoil for the Standard Libelle, the Hornet and the Club Libelle are the same.

I would check with Streifeneder as they still have many parts for the glider: http://www.streifly.de/unternehmen-e.htm

Mike B.
Old September 1st 20, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Wrinkle

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 12:56:23 AM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Phil,

The Hornet and the Club Libelle have the same wing (and horizontal Stab). The airfoil for the Standard Libelle, the Hornet and the Club Libelle are the same.

I would check with Streifeneder as they still have many parts for the glider: http://www.streifly.de/unternehmen-e.htm

Mike B.

Thx Mike B. Sent them a note last week and hopefully, I'll get a reply soon.
Old September 1st 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's interesting.Â* Given that the Mosquito and Hornet look exactly
alike from any distance, I always assumed the Hornet's wing was the same
as the Mosquito's except for not having flaps.

Was the Hornet produced before the Mosquito, after, or at the same time?

On 8/31/2020 10:56 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Phil,

The Hornet and the Club Libelle have the same wing (and horizontal Stab). The airfoil for the Standard Libelle, the Hornet and the Club Libelle are the same.

I would check with Streifeneder as they still have many parts for the glider: http://www.streifly.de/unternehmen-e.htm

Mike B.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 1st 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 10:09:18 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
That's interesting. Given that the Mosquito and Hornet look exactly
alike from any distance, I always assumed the Hornet's wing was the same
as the Mosquito's except for not having flaps.

Flapped glider wings use much different airfoils from non-flapped glider wings. A flapped wing with the flaps fixed would have terrible overall performance. No one does that.

The Hornet was developed by taking the wing and tail of the club Libelle and designing an entirely new forward fuselage for it. Oh, and the Hornet was probably the first with the automatic control hookups that AS and SH use to this day. The Mosquito followed and used the same fuselage design with an entirely new flapped wing. The 304 followed the Mosquito and was a new wing with different airfoils on the Mosquito fuselage.

If Hanle had lived, we'd all be flying Glasflugel today!

Old September 1st 20, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Flapped glider wings use much different airfoils from non-flapped glider wings. A flapped wing with the flaps fixed would have terrible overall performance. No one does that.

.... LS8?