ELT replacement advice?

Old January 5th 17, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Default ELT replacement advice?

Also Steve Fosset had two ELTs one was a wrist watch ELT that also failed.

I seem to recall from somewhere in the media that Steve was not wearing that particular ELT watch as quoted by his wife. Could be wrong.

Old January 5th 17, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

XCSoar, Oudie and likely other soaring software offer methods to Bluetooth

position to an app on your phone which sends packets to a tracking website.

Cell coverage is often pretty good a few thousand feet up, even over areas

where there is no coverage on the ground.

At our club private owner flights go to Livetrack24. Position reports go
out
every 30 seconds or so.

Old January 5th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Fossett was not wearing the ELT watch and would have had to been alive to activate it. I have seen the photos of the crash, he hit extremely hard and would have died instantly.

There was a show reconstructing the accident with CGI, does anyone know which channel produced that show? I have tried to find it and could not, seems like it was, Discovery, History, Smithsonian or similar.

Old January 6th 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Here is another great example of why I would prefer a tracker, Spot or InReach, over an ELT, Flight MH370!!!!

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 8:48:41 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I have a Kannad Integra installed in my Discus CS. The fiberglass fuselage does not require an antenna of any sort in addition to the built in antenna in the unit. It works fine, I have tested it. It's an easy install and good insurance. Installation of the remote panel controls is a good idea, and also not particularly difficult.

I also have a SPOT attached to my parachute harness. I use it mostly for live tracking but it's a good backup.

I personally do not understand why people would choose a PLB over a properly installed ELT. Modern ELT work very well and are automatically activated. Assuming that you are gong to be conscious after a crash hard enough to set off an ELT is not valid in my opinion. If you are conscious, then great, manually set off your SPOT/InReach and your ELT as well!

Old January 6th 17, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I got the PLB and thought I'd attach it to the chute somehow, but the rigger warned me about possible interference with the chute opening. E.g., what looks like a simple shoulder strap actually opens up and turns into multiple ropes that connect to different points in the opened chute. Also don't want the PLB to interfere with the seat belt. Havn't found a mounting solution yet, that would be both safe and comfortable, and secure in the sense that if I bail out the PLB would likely stay attached to the chute (or me).. Ideas?
Old January 6th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Am Freitag, 6. Januar 2017 19:31:09 UTC+1 schrieb :
I got the PLB and thought I'd attach it to the chute somehow, but the rigger warned me about possible interference with the chute opening. E.g., what looks like a simple shoulder strap actually opens up and turns into multiple ropes that connect to different points in the opened chute. Also don't want the PLB to interfere with the seat belt. Havn't found a mounting solution yet, that would be both safe and comfortable, and secure in the sense that if I bail out the PLB would likely stay attached to the chute (or me). Ideas?

I would keep the old ELT in the gilder and consider a PLB and/or SPOT/inReach at my parachute. If I survive they shall find me first, not the remains of the gilder.
Old January 6th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 10:31:09 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I got the PLB and thought I'd attach it to the chute somehow, but the rigger warned me about possible interference with the chute opening. E.g., what looks like a simple shoulder strap actually opens up and turns into multiple ropes that connect to different points in the opened chute. Also don't want the PLB to interfere with the seat belt. Havn't found a mounting solution yet, that would be both safe and comfortable, and secure in the sense that if I bail out the PLB would likely stay attached to the chute (or me). Ideas?

At next repack have your rigger add a hard point to the riser sleeve and build a pocket for the PLB that can be attached to it.
My rigger was happy to add this feature.
Jim
Old January 7th 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 1:00:07 PM UTC-8, George Haeh wrote:
XCSoar, Oudie and likely other soaring software offer methods to Bluetooth

position to an app on your phone which sends packets to a tracking website.

Cell coverage is often pretty good a few thousand feet up, even over areas

where there is no coverage on the ground.

At our club private owner flights go to Livetrack24. Position reports go
out
every 30 seconds or so.

Watching the Benalla Worlds on Livetrack24, the update rate when working is great but cell phone coverage is pretty poor in places.
Anything you install needs to be properly placed. Carbon cockpits are not friendly to radio signals from below.
Jim

Old January 7th 17, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

The two act in a very complementary way. It's like asking, what should I have, safety belt or airbags?

Why "or"?
Old January 8th 17, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

While my fuselage is carbon fiber, I haven't seen significant breaks in my
LT24
tracks.

That's with my phone in my shirt pocket.

You might not get the same cell reception with a phone in a belt holster
inside carbon fiber.

100 LL Replacement? Dave[_5_] Piloting 2 November 20th 07 02:54 AM
737 Replacement john smith Piloting 26 October 22nd 06 05:21 AM
Advice needed- 1-34 tow hook replacement Kurt Soaring 3 July 16th 04 03:23 AM
F-15J Replacement Prowlus Military Aviation 8 April 28th 04 02:16 PM
EP-3 replacement? user Naval Aviation 23 December 6th 03 10:46 PM