A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Eberle Trailer without Spring Assist

Old April 21st 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob
external usenet poster

Default Eberle Trailer without Spring Assist

I just acquired an Eberle trailer without the spring and or strut lift assist add on that most have. If anyone has experience with this maybe you can give me some ideas on how you open and drop the support rods when alone. No problem when someone else is around, I lift, they drop the rods. Lifting it up and then going off center to drop the rod on one side and then the other seems to put to much stress on the clam shell hinge.
Thanks
Bob
Old April 22nd 14, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It's not a problem at all. You support the clamshell at the center right below the lock handle so the pressure is even on both clamshell hinges. I start supporting it with the left hand and lower the right rod first. Use your right arm to grab the rods as far forward as you can (the further away from the rod hinges, the better since you have more leverage/arm). Once you put the right rod in, use your right arm to support the clamshell, again around the center. Than take your left arm off the clamshell and use it to lower the left rod.

I had an Eberle for a year and had no problems with it at all in opening the clamshell myself. Keep in mind it's not a clamshell, it's a half clamshell that isn't very heavy, if you support the clamshell from the center so it doesn't twist at the hinges or forward of the hinges, it really isn't a problem. You can always mod it with gas springs but that is way overkill if you ask me. Modern trailers have gas springs mostly because it's a full clamshell and the top half of the trailer weighs a few hundred pounds.
Old April 22nd 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob
external usenet poster

omrika...

Problem is I am not tall enough and do not have the reach to do as you suggest.
Wish I did but not an option. Guess I will just have to find a way to prop it open safely and then drop the rods. After that I can finish lifting from the center and set the rods.

Thanks,
Bob
Old April 22nd 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Forget one important step, raise the front end of the trailer to a reasonable height for rigging your ship with the back end a few inches above the ground before opening the clamshell. I'm short at 5'6" and it's not a problem for me with the front end raised.