Eberle Trailer without Spring Assist

Old April 21st 14, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Eberle Trailer without Spring Assist

I just acquired an Eberle trailer without the spring and or strut lift assist add on that most have. If anyone has experience with this maybe you can give me some ideas on how you open and drop the support rods when alone. No problem when someone else is around, I lift, they drop the rods. Lifting it up and then going off center to drop the rod on one side and then the other seems to put to much stress on the clam shell hinge.
Thanks
Bob
Old April 22nd 14, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's not a problem at all. You support the clamshell at the center right below the lock handle so the pressure is even on both clamshell hinges. I start supporting it with the left hand and lower the right rod first. Use your right arm to grab the rods as far forward as you can (the further away from the rod hinges, the better since you have more leverage/arm). Once you put the right rod in, use your right arm to support the clamshell, again around the center. Than take your left arm off the clamshell and use it to lower the left rod.

I had an Eberle for a year and had no problems with it at all in opening the clamshell myself. Keep in mind it's not a clamshell, it's a half clamshell that isn't very heavy, if you support the clamshell from the center so it doesn't twist at the hinges or forward of the hinges, it really isn't a problem. You can always mod it with gas springs but that is way overkill if you ask me. Modern trailers have gas springs mostly because it's a full clamshell and the top half of the trailer weighs a few hundred pounds.
Old April 22nd 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

omrika...

Problem is I am not tall enough and do not have the reach to do as you suggest.
Wish I did but not an option. Guess I will just have to find a way to prop it open safely and then drop the rods. After that I can finish lifting from the center and set the rods.

Thanks,
Bob
Old April 22nd 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Forget one important step, raise the front end of the trailer to a reasonable height for rigging your ship with the back end a few inches above the ground before opening the clamshell. I'm short at 5'6" and it's not a problem for me with the front end raised.

weight of an Eberle trailer raymond herr Soaring 3 November 27th 11 06:20 PM
Eberle trailer wheel rims Bob Soaring 7 November 25th 11 05:39 PM
Cobra trailer gas spring Stephanie and Ed Soaring 4 March 9th 07 07:09 PM
Eberle Surge Brake Rebuild Jim Hendrix Soaring 0 June 18th 04 08:28 PM
Ram air assist Rich S. Home Built 10 November 11th 03 05:58 PM