Learjet down in Conn.

Old August 5th 03, 01:05 AM
lance smith

Default Learjet down in Conn.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast...ash/index.html

The pilots died : (

-lance smith
Old August 5th 03, 08:18 AM
Martin

I live in CT, weather was scattered but bad at the time (low clouds,
scat tstorms). Dunno how it could have happened though, a jet as well
equipt (and probably well piloted) as a LearJet should be, seems odd,
coming down over a half mile short of the runway. Sadly awaiting the
word on what went wrong.
Old August 5th 03, 02:52 PM
Jack McAdams

"Marco L" beach321(at)ix.netcom.com wrote in message ...
The Lear was part of a charter arm of a local flight school--AirEast--at
FRG, my homebase. Really nice owners. They haven't released the names of
the pilots as of this post. Bless their souls...

Marco

WCBS this morning reports that the pilot was age 58 and the co-pilot
age 33, both residents of Long Island. Sorry, I do not recall the
names, although they were announced in the broadcast.

Jack

om...

http://www.usenet.com

Old August 5th 03, 08:47 PM
JerryK

Another shot from the hip is the duck under syndrome. The pilot is flying
along the GS well and picks up ground contact coming through the murk.
Pilot goes a little lower to pick up the runway and goes below glide slope
and into the ground. All while flying straight down the localizer.

"Rosspilot" wrote in message

I live in CT, weather was scattered but bad at the time (low clouds,
scat tstorms). Dunno how it could have happened though, a jet as well
equipt (and probably well piloted) as a LearJet should be, seems odd,
coming down over a half mile short of the runway.

Shooting from the hip, and with no facts to base this on, I SPECULATE

low-level
windshear . . . microburst. Winds were definitely strong enough to push

the
plane down.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old August 6th 03, 12:40 AM
David Reinhart

The news report I heard was that he was circling and coming *back* to the
airport. It sounds like he was shooting the VOR approach instead of the
ILS. We had a very similar accident up here in MA recently where a King
Air pilot saw the runway too late and dumped it in while trying to
circle. Both airspeed indicators were needle-slapped at below 70 knots.

Dave Reinhart