diesel 160-200HP engines

Old March 23rd 04, 11:18 PM
geo

Default diesel 160-200HP engines

Here's an interesting new diesel engine with much lower operating costs.
Looks like it would fill the bill for a Glass Goose (which I'm considering)
very nicely. Waddya think? http://www.deltahawkengines.com/object00.htm

--
How Dubya stole the election: http://www.ericblumrich.com/gta.html

Old March 24th 04, 05:15 AM
Morgans

"geo" wrote in message
news
Here's an interesting new diesel engine with much lower operating costs.
Looks like it would fill the bill for a Glass Goose (which I'm

considering)
very nicely. Waddya think? http://www.deltahawkengines.com/object00.htm

--
How Dubya stole the election: http://www.ericblumrich.com/gta.html

We've been waiting for these engines for a long time, but if you think that
they will be here when promised, then you might think Bush stole the
election, too. What a moron.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old March 24th 04, 07:00 AM
Rob Turk

"geo" wrote in message
news
Here's an interesting new diesel engine with much lower operating costs.
Looks like it would fill the bill for a Glass Goose (which I'm

considering)
very nicely. Waddya think? http://www.deltahawkengines.com/object00.htm

--

When we looked for a suitable engine two years ago we came across this too.
They had about the same availability table up, except it read '2002', not

Rob

Old March 24th 04, 02:00 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:00:32 +0100, "Rob Turk"
wrote:

"geo" wrote in message
news
Here's an interesting new diesel engine with much lower operating costs.
Looks like it would fill the bill for a Glass Goose (which I'm

considering)
very nicely. Waddya think? http://www.deltahawkengines.com/object00.htm

--

When we looked for a suitable engine two years ago we came across this too.
They had about the same availability table up, except it read '2002', not
'2004'.

Rob

Unlike the mythical Zoche engine, the Deltahawk diesel has now flown,
and continues to build time in the Cozy test mule. At least we can
see that progress is being made. It's still hard to tell exactly when
the engine will be made available but it's hard to deny that that date
is within reach now.

Corky Scott

Old March 24th 04, 02:05 PM
geo

"Morgans" wrote in message

"geo" wrote in message
news
Here's an interesting new diesel engine with much lower operating costs.
Looks like it would fill the bill for a Glass Goose (which I'm

considering)
very nicely. Waddya think? http://www.deltahawkengines.com/object00.htm

--
How Dubya stole the election: http://www.ericblumrich.com/gta.html

We've been waiting for these engines for a long time, but if you think

that
they will be here when promised, then you might think Bush stole the
election, too. What a moron.
--
Jim in NC

And you think that's ok. What a moron.
George in NY

Old March 24th 04, 06:13 PM
Jay

I hope these guys are successful. Lots of good things going for TD
engines, especially if you want to go up high and go a long way.

Also, you could run the thing on recycled (reconditioned) deep fryer
oil. The exhaust would smell like french fries cooking. No Joke.

Regards

Old March 24th 04, 10:08 PM
Steve Campbell

That is a pretty over the top link, but politics aside, how many
homebuilders will spend that much for an engine? The cost of Deltahawk's
200 hp version was originally projected to be around 12 k$. (It was also
going to weigh about 100 lbs less than an IO-360.) It is now close to 30 k$
and who knows what it will be by the time that you actually buy one. There
may well be significant reliability advantages, much lower operating cost
advantages, and just the basic coolness of the gadget, but still, I don't
have that kind of money for an engine with no service record, no parts
network, no experienced repair stations, etc. etc. God bless for getting
this thing as far as they have, but I would expect that if this thing ever
goes into production, its primary application will be in a certified
aircraft where the cost of the powerplant is a small part of the total cost.
Steve

"geo" wrote in message
"Morgans" wrote in message

news

Old March 26th 04, 04:45 AM
Mike Wanninger

Yet just this week they posted the requirements for the first orders. First
deliveries will be in late 2004. It appears they are now finally ready.
You may also look at the report of a 6+ hour over-redline stress test. They
finally broke it - the prop that is. The engine survived without a problem. I
hope they succeed since Thielert of Germany is all ready in production of a 150
HP certified diesel engine. They need to catch up.

Mike

Rob Turk wrote:

news

Old March 26th 04, 06:55 AM
Rob Turk

"Mike Wanninger" wrote in message
Yet just this week they posted the requirements for the first orders.

First
deliveries will be in late 2004. It appears they are now finally ready.
You may also look at the report of a 6+ hour over-redline stress test.

They
finally broke it - the prop that is. The engine survived without a

problem. I
hope they succeed since Thielert of Germany is all ready in production of

a 150
HP certified diesel engine. They need to catch up.

Mike

Well that's good news then. I was very close to getting a diesel for our
experimental, but the only available engine at the time was too heavy for
our airframe. I still think diesel engines will take off, but there's
several companies out there who have promised products forever without any
appearant progress. Can you say 'Zoche'?

Rob

Old March 26th 04, 03:50 PM
Pete Schaefer

Right now, DH has one big thing in it's favor: exchange rates. Those English
and German diesels (Wilksch, TAE Centurion) are expensive and don't offer
all the same life-cycle cost advantages. They just need to get the engines
out the friggin door....and preferably get FAA cert, too.

I really want that inverted 180HP job for my still-notional RV-8A. I know
too many guys with Harman Rockets that I want to thumb my nose at.

Pete

. nl...