NMEA+vario+ASI data stream for WinPilot Pro

Old March 27th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default NMEA+vario+ASI data stream for WinPilot Pro

When I send data to my PDA from a flight playback in SeeYou, my
WinPilot Pro complains about lack of vario data and tells me to run
WinPilot Advanced instead. Since it's the Pro version I want to test
and practice with, I need to find something besides SeeYou that will
stream to the PDA the same set of data it gets from the 302.

Has anyone done this? Is it possible to record the data stream on the
PDA while running WinPilot at the same time?

~ted/2NO

Old March 27th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

Ted,

I hear that Condor sends a vario & GPS stream to WinPilot PRO, one of
my customers uses a Cyborg EVO Force joystick in the USB port and
WinPilot PRO with active sync in the serial port. They fly online
internet contests.

Having said that ADV is exactly the same as PRO except no Climb
Maximizer and winds are circling instead of direct.
I don't think you will notice any difference in practicing.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old March 27th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Richard,

I have so much stuff on my PDA already, I don't want to install WP Adv
just for this.

And besides -- one of the things I'm trying to do is reproduce a
problem I have with WP Pro on TATs. It likes to crash when I move the
cone in a turn area. In the middle of a flight, that's a real PITA.

-ted/2NO

Old March 27th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

Tuno wrote:
When I send data to my PDA from a flight playback in SeeYou, my
WinPilot Pro complains about lack of vario data and tells me to run
WinPilot Advanced instead. Since it's the Pro version I want to test
and practice with, I need to find something besides SeeYou that will
stream to the PDA the same set of data it gets from the 302.

Has anyone done this? Is it possible to record the data stream on the
PDA while running WinPilot at the same time?

~ted/2NO

GPS Gate ( http://franson.com/gpsgate/ )can record the data stream and
pass it on to WinPilot at the same time. In fact I have a couple log
files from last year where I did just that. It can also play them back
for you and feed them back into WinPilot through your serial, or
ActiveSync USB port. I'm not sure WinPilot Pro will start up correctly
just feeding it the recorded nmea stream unless your license is tied to
the PDA instead of to the 302. Pretty handy tool. I can mail you a 302
nmea log file if that would help.

-Dave
Old March 27th 07, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ola Røer Thorsen

Hi Ted,

Silent Wings (soaring simulator) sends the complete C302 set of NMEA strings
to the serial port. You will have to fly the simulator instead of using the
IGC file playback, but that might just be what you are looking for to learn
to use WinPilot. You can try it out in the 2-week free demo found at
http://www.silentwings.no .

Best regards,
Ola

Old March 28th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I succeeded in using GPS Gate to send NMEA from SeeYou on the desktop
to WP Pro on the PDA, using a WP logfile which has all of the extra
steam pressure data in it. But WP Pro flips me the finger with an
invalid license message. I'll e-mail the Powers that Be over there and
see if there's some way around this...