Re-shaping fiberglass parts with heat

Old October 29th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Re-shaping fiberglass parts with heat

I knew the concept was valid from Schempp-Hirth instructions on how to
heat up an early Cirrus wing and put in the twist that Cirrus's after
s/n 175 had. I have a badly twisted gear door (corner stood proud a
good 5mm), so I thought I'd give it a try on a much smaller scale. I
held the gear door in front of an electric space heater for a good 8
minutes, until it was too hot to leave a finger on the surface. Then I
put it in place on the wheel-well (fuselage inverted) and held the
ends with two 25# shot bags. I slipped in a 5mm shim to achieve over-
twist for the expected spring-back. Let it cool for an hour and it
fits like new!
Anybody else have experience heat-twisting epoxy/fiberglass parts?
What's the yield temp?
JJ

Old October 29th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 29, 3:28 pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I knew the concept was valid from Schempp-Hirth instructions on how to
heat up an early Cirrus wing and put in the twist that Cirrus's after
s/n 175 had. I have a badly twisted gear door (corner stood proud a
good 5mm), so I thought I'd give it a try on a much smaller scale. I
held the gear door in front of an electric space heater for a good 8
minutes, until it was too hot to leave a finger on the surface. Then I
put it in place on the wheel-well (fuselage inverted) and held the
ends with two 25# shot bags. I slipped in a 5mm shim to achieve over-
twist for the expected spring-back. Let it cool for an hour and it
fits like new!
Anybody else have experience heat-twisting epoxy/fiberglass parts?
What's the yield temp?
JJ

Lots of experience here !
Yield temp is just a bit lower than when it starts to turn brown ;-)
Last time I did this I just used a hair dryer and gradually increased
the heat until the part gave a little easier.
There's got to be a better way to quickly judge it though ?
Maybe Bumper can recommend one of those nifty strips that
changes color at just the right temperature ?
See ya, Dave "YO"

Old October 29th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 29, 3:28 pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I knew the concept was valid from Schempp-Hirth instructions on how to
heat up an early Cirrus wing and put in the twist that Cirrus's after
s/n 175 had. I have a badly twisted gear door (corner stood proud a
good 5mm), so I thought I'd give it a try on a much smaller scale. I
held the gear door in front of an electric space heater for a good 8
minutes, until it was too hot to leave a finger on the surface. Then I
put it in place on the wheel-well (fuselage inverted) and held the
ends with two 25# shot bags. I slipped in a 5mm shim to achieve over-
twist for the expected spring-back. Let it cool for an hour and it
fits like new!
Anybody else have experience heat-twisting epoxy/fiberglass parts?
What's the yield temp?
JJ

Doesn't seem to work as well on ships made with newer resins like
current production ships
that have been post cured to 50 C or so.
T1(yield) temp is just above whatever it was post cured to from my
experience.
Seems to make sense.
UH

Old October 29th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 29, 1:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

I've used hot tap water to "adjust" fiberglass parts. It conducts the
heat to the part better than air, and I don't think you could over
heat it that way. I maxed out the thermostat on my water heater to do
it. I've been able to do significant "shaping" this way. I've also
gotten scalded more than once.

Old October 30th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 29, 12:28 pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I knew the concept was valid from Schempp-Hirth instructions on how to
heat up an early Cirrus wing and put in the twist that Cirrus's after
s/n 175 had. I have a badly twisted gear door (corner stood proud a
good 5mm), so I thought I'd give it a try on a much smaller scale. I
held the gear door in front of an electric space heater for a good 8
minutes, until it was too hot to leave a finger on the surface. Then I
put it in place on the wheel-well (fuselage inverted) and held the
ends with two 25# shot bags. I slipped in a 5mm shim to achieve over-
twist for the expected spring-back. Let it cool for an hour and it
fits like new!
Anybody else have experience heat-twisting epoxy/fiberglass parts?
What's the yield temp?
JJ

Depends on the resin.
When we reshaped the trailing edge of my ASW22 Rudder, Larry M. built
a foam box and used hair dryers to maintain it at 175F
The part was Kevlar lay up not plain glass.

Your experience might vary

Regards

Al

Old October 31st 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Looks like the Jonkers sustainer will have this capability
built in - a least for the fin and tailplane:-)

http://www.jonkersailplanes.com/vide...nd_320x240.wmv

John Galloway

Old November 5th 07, 10:57 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Looks like the Jonkers sustainer will have this capability
built in - a least for the fin and tailplane:-)

http://www.jonkersailplanes.com/vide...nd_320x240.wmv

John Galloway

yahhoooooooo!

Man do I want one of those!
Or Two, hang the expense!

Bagger
Old November 5th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

At 13:48 05 November 2007, Bagmaker wrote:

-Looks like the Jonkers sustainer will have this capability
built in - a least for the fin and tailplane:-)

http://www.jonkersailplanes.com/vide...nd_320x240.wmv

John Galloway
-

yahhoooooooo!

Man do I want one of those!
Or Two, hang the expense!

Bagge

--
bagmaker

HpH has is also going to have the option on the new
304S's see:http://www.hph.cz/ (second item down on
news page) As you can see, they are pretty far along,
and it should be available soon.

Paul Hanson
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Fiberglass seperation Lou Home Built 7 September 25th 06 04:03 AM
Aluminized fiberglass Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired Home Built 2 May 3rd 05 08:35 AM
FS: Aircraft Instruments Parts Avionics Warbird Parts Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 10th 04 02:20 AM
FS: Aircraft Instruments Parts Avionics Warbird Parts Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 0 January 10th 04 02:20 AM
2004 California airshow season shaping up! Wings Of Fury Military Aviation 0 December 31st 03 05:34 AM