Weight of Ice

Old November 14th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
gwengler

Default Weight of Ice

I roughly calculated that the weight of 1 in. of ice on all forward
surfaces on my T182 (fixed gear) is about 250 lbs. Anyone cares to
comment on this?
Gerd (ATPL)

Old November 14th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

It isn't the weight, it is the lack of aerodynamic shape.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

oups.com...

Old November 14th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

I roughly calculated that the weight of 1 in. of ice on all forward
surfaces on my T182 (fixed gear) is about 250 lbs. Anyone cares to
comment on this?

Just that the change in shape of the airfoil is probably more important
than the weight.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 14th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
gwengler

Just that the change in shape of the airfoil is probably more important
than the weight.

That is correct, but at some time, the weight itself becomes an issue,
too. I was just curious about the weight. There are some interesting
pictures here comparing a Cessna wing with a TKS equipped Cirrus wing:
http://www.ferryflights.org/Ferryflights-icing.htm

Gerd

Old November 14th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill[_4_]

You are long past dead when the weight becomes an issue.
At least in a little plane. The shape of the ice buildup can
be really ugly.

Worse problems: Shape of the wing drag
Tail plane stalling in landing
configuration.

Airplanes with the spar in the front seat tend to carry ice
better-- the ugly shape interferes less with the wing lift.

Trust me on this. Bill Hale BPPP instructor

Old November 14th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Another swing at a dead horse...weight is a minor factor. If you could carry
another passenger, you could carry as much weight in the form of ice as in
your worst nightmares.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old November 14th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Also, rime is full of air and may be 1/2 the weight of clear
ice. It is the spoiler effect of the ice that causes the
problem.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
| Another swing at a dead horse...weight is a minor factor.
If you could carry
| another passenger, you could carry as much weight in the
form of ice as in
| your worst nightmares.
|
| Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old November 14th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Bob Gardner wrote:
Another swing at a dead horse...weight is a minor factor. If you could carry
another passenger, you could carry as much weight in the form of ice as in
your worst nightmares.

I guess I'm not old enough. However, was there really ever a time when
students were taught that its the weight of the ice that kills?

-Robert, CFII

Old November 14th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Maybe I'm not old enough either. I can't remember weight as ever having been
a consideration. Those leading edge profiles showing clear, rime, and mixed
have been around since the early 60s to my personal knowledge.

HOWEVER, I have a book from the 1920s that talks about "ice barnacles."

Bob

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old November 15th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

gwengler wrote:
I roughly calculated that the weight of 1 in. of ice on all forward
surfaces on my T182 (fixed gear) is about 250 lbs. Anyone cares to
comment on this?
Gerd (ATPL)

Frost on the wing weighs next to nothing, probably a few ounces.

Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight Mxsmanic Piloting 121 September 11th 06 11:13 PM
Differences between automotive & airplane engines Chris Wells Home Built 105 February 18th 06 11:00 PM
Dutch Roll SelwayKid Piloting 31 June 19th 04 11:43 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM