Wanted to buy: One Man Rigger

Old March 2nd 15, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wanted to buy: One Man Rigger

I recently purchased a glider and need a One Man Rig.

Let me know what you have.

Email stuff721-pp(at)yahoo.com

Old March 2nd 15, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

http://www.mmfabrication.com/SPRC.htm

Mark builds good stuff.

--
Dan Marotta

Old March 3rd 15, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Mark Mocho builds good stuff for sure. But what he's currently building isn't what Dan linked to.

As was reported on this forum a few months ago, Mark bought the Wing Rigger business and product design. I think the situation is that he's been so busy building and shipping product lately that he's not had time yet to get all the web stuff updated. For now at least, the link to the Wing Rigger product description is www.wingrigger.com.

I suppose I'm biased, but I'd want to advise that the original poster give Wing Rigger good consideration.

Old March 3rd 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have two gliders and use the Cobra one man rigger for both. I have tried at least two other designs and watch other pilots using other systems.
I have a mature back and knees. I rig my planes by myself all the time.
The Cobra has a wide wheelbase and large wheels that make it very stable.
The height adjustment is with a crank that takes very little effort.
There is a lateral adjustment feature that makes the slight fore and aft movements of the wing needed to align pins very easy. It all breaks down into sizes that fit very easily into the front compartment of the Cobra trailer, or better yet, into the under-trailer drawer.
Wind is your enemy when solo rigging or de-rigging.
A second person whos sole job is to provide lateral bracing against the wind should be used when there is significant wind.
I have never had a wing get blown over using this system.
I have lost two wings to the wind with other systems.
Old March 3rd 15, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 9:25:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I recently purchased a glider and need a One Man Rig.

Let me know what you have.

Email stuff721-pp(at)yahoo.com

I guess one question should be asked...... what kind of surface/ground are you typically going to use the rigger on?
Some set-ups work great, but only on smooth/flat/hard surfaces.
Other riggers are "so-so" on smooth/hard, but work on soft/rutted surfaces.

Maybe users of riggers can explain what surface they are normally on to help you with your selection.

Just a thought. ;-)
Old March 3rd 15, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My home-built rigger (built by a friend, not me) uses large pneumatic
tires. It works very well on dirt, gravel, grass, and pavement. I
removed the height adjustment jack to make it smaller and lighter and
simply drilled and bolted the height to where the wings slide into each
other. Minor vertical adjustments can be made with the trailer's cradle
jack.

Old March 3rd 15, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

I picked up an old Udo Rumpf rigger. Works great on the grass. Also uses
the crank for adjustment.

Peter
Old March 3rd 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 1:33:38 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

I also have a rigger made by Udo. It is really solid with a wide base. Sadly Udo is no longer with us. Wing Rigger is really nice as well.
Old March 4th 15, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I've owned three one-man riggers, each one better than the previous one. My current (and probably last one) is one of Steve Koerner's (now manufactured by MM). It is very similar to the Udo version, but uses a gas shock for support rather than a screw and crank. I was always bashing my knuckles with the crank and find the gas shock to be easier and quicker. It's the only US-manufactured one worth looking it, IMHO.

Mike
Old March 4th 15, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Why not just build your own? I built one that has a powered height adjustment with wireless remote control and it cost me about $70 for the whole thing. I am going to write an Instructable how to do this in a few weeks.

Wing Rigger FS Ron Gleason Soaring 2 December 5th 13 05:36 PM
Looking for a used wing rigger / one man rigger .... [email protected] Soaring 0 November 6th 13 06:02 PM
FS: Cobra one man rigger- Devin Bargainnier Soaring 0 February 24th 10 05:09 AM
Wanted: One-man wing rigger Bastoune Soaring 4 February 21st 10 04:48 PM