We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Old March 21st 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:34:09 AM UTC-6, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:50:01 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

Is it not a rhetorical question? I believe my club's two PW5s in 1994 or 1995 (which were somewhere in the first five or six serial numbers) cost NZ$25000, or about US$15000.

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

That's US$24000 now, based on US inflation.

I suspect other factors such as the cost of living in Poland might be more relevant -- that looks to me more like a factor of 3.5 since the mid 90s, which would make a PW5 cost $52500 now.

IIRC when the PW-6 was early in production, if you bought one, they would give you a PW-5 to go with it. Not sure how many took advantage of that, however, the late Dick Johnson donated a PW-6 and PW-5 to the Mississippi State University Gliding Club, so perhaps he did.
Old March 21st 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

What happened to Soar-point? That scrivener seemed to understand satire.

anyone remember Lennie the Lurker?

Old March 22nd 17, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

Last years WGC club class was won in a glider valued under 15k dollars including all the accessories. It has never been cheaper than today to own a glider to compete with on a world level.

With declining numbers of glider pilots, a strong market for new high-end ships and virtually unlimited lifetime of used gliders, the availability of affordable gliders is really not an issue.
Old March 22nd 17, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:05:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Thank you Bruce, thank you.

Yes that's right. According to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com a PW-5 in today's money would be $23,976.

I'll repeat that a second time for clarification $23,976.

And a third time for impact $23,976

I rest my case to all you naysayers who say a glider can't be produced at a reasonable cost!

I hate to be the math and economics guy all the time, but I think you rested your case on the wrong analysis.

The PW-5 was made in Poland. You applied the US CPI. Turns out US and Polish inflation rates are different because (drum roll) they are different countries. Poland went through hyperinflation after the end of the Cold War and did a 10,000:1 redenomination of their currency in 1995.

If you compound Polish CPI from 1994 to today you get higher prices by a factor of 5.9. That would make a $15,000 PW-5 in 1994 cost about $88,000 today.

But don't despair. Big differentials in inflation can be accompanied by offsetting currency exchange rates. The Polish Zloty has devalued a bit versus the dollar so, adjusting for inflation AND exchange rates (adjusting for the redenomination), a 1994 PW-5 would cost around $55,000 today.

I bet that's not too far off from what you'd pay for a GP 11, and the GP 11 performs a lot better than a PW-5.

This is a simplified analysis as inflation for skilled technical jobs (like making gliders) can rise at a somewhat different rate than overall prices. Nevertheless, engineering and economics are kind of like gravity, you ignore them at your peril.

Do I get a chicken dinner?

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old March 23rd 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:36:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
How and why, was the PW-5 made for so cheap?

Because it had a tube tailboom and did not have a T-tail.

Nobody can answer this because it proves you are wrong!

Basic sailplanes do not cost a fortune to build. There is a market for entry level gliders with a handicap of 1.00 for a reasonable price. Few pilots want to own a 40-50 year old fiberglass sailplane.

How much did an ASW-19 cost brand new in 1975?

Bob K and I have discussed the possibility of getting a S-LSA certification for the HP-24. It would cost about $500,000. If that were underwritten by investors, then the HP-24 could be sold as a completed and ready-to-fly glider. There is no other mechanism that would allow for selling a glider built new in the USA. You can not certificate a new, built in the USA aircraft as Experimental-air race and demonstration.
Old March 23rd 17, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry, no chicken dinner.

You are comparing apples to oranges from 2 decades ago where political environments have changed, in an attempt to prove that gliders MUST cost a fortune. It's just as silly as the prison example above, or the production plant in Mexico. One of the big reasons this sport has gone dow hill has been from the cult mantra that NOTHING can be changed (period), which is just ridiculous! Thus no structured group effort is made to change.

My point is this, you all say it can't be done, I say it already has been done. The PW-5 was created at an affordable price. And it absolutely could be created again, perhaps not in the same country, or by the same manufacture, and hopefully not the same design! But it has been done before and therefor can be done again.

After this in depth discussion I sincerely believe that the reason gliders cost so much is because there just isn't anyone capable of manufacturing a sailplane that actually wants to produce an affordable glider. The desire seems to be in only the extreme cutting edge technology. Sailboat, airplane, automobile and other transportation designs all have varieties available ranging from basic to advanced, except soaring.

Therefor, pilots are forced to choose between a sailplane that is the price of a Ferrari or Maserati, or an antique worn out old fiberglass ship that is crazed over and who knows just how safe it really is since there's no data on the structural integrity of 50 year old fiberglass.

Rant over, go ahead, flame away.
Old March 23rd 17, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can not certificate a new, built in the USA aircraft as Experimental-air race and demonstration.

Wasn't this done with the few Duckhawk's that were built?

Old March 23rd 17, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 6:17:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sorry, no chicken dinner.

You are comparing apples to oranges from 2 decades ago where political environments have changed, in an attempt to prove that gliders MUST cost a fortune. It's just as silly as the prison example above,...

Wilbur/Sean, can you really not see the absurdity of you using the word "silly" to argue against economic theory which has withstood the test of time. Andy actually knows what he is speaking of and has a history to prove such. "Silly" is just rude name calling, not a valid argument, nor do you have a history of upper management making business decisions on sound economic analysis. At some point in every dreamers life it is time open the ears and stop with "silly" thoughts, or put up and form a company and move forward to prove how "silly" all the others are.
Old March 23rd 17, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

A new trailer, instruments, parachute, covers (etc.) will set you back 25k. If someone manages to build a new glider with same price, I have only one comment: shut up and take my money. Maybe add a sustainer for total price of 45k? Waiting for "Sealbur Gliders Ltd" start taking orders.
Old March 23rd 17, 12:03 PM
Kevin Brooker Kevin Brooker is offline
Junior Member

As an owner and proponent of the PW-5 my heart is always made to beat a bit faster knowing this glider still has relevance even if it is as a benchmark of what not to do. The glider's place in history will show it has helped advance the sport.

The cost of gliders really doesn't matter. Make them free and after a surge in activity the y will not be flown very much. What gets in the way of flying is not availability of gliders it is the availability of time and the commitment to of this time to fly. Many of us are not blessed with the time needed to enjoy the sport. Find a way to make more time and then we can worry about the availability of gliders..

The only reason to own a glider is convenience. The cost of ownership is relatively high compared to renting or joining a club where ships are made available. The club I used to fly with has a 304 available to members and a few of the owners are gracious to loan their ships to qualified pilots. I was never at a loss for a better glider and went the route of the PW to chase records and go after a world championship. Didn't work out as planned.

When I owned a powerplane the break even cost of ownership vs. renting was flying about 65 hours each year. The benefit to owning was being able to fly when I wanted for as long as I wanted. Economically owning an airplane was not a great economic savings in terms of cash.

The glider isn't much different. Club dues were about $500 and I paid these whether I was an owner or used club ships. Owning the PW cos me about $1500 year including the trailer, insurance, annuals, and any additional expenses of hauling the thing around. My average year was about 75 hours in the PW. Almost every time I flew the club ships were in the box so I flew the PW by choice. Insert your favorite PW slight/bad choice joke here.

Want to fly inexpensively; join a good club, use their equipment and accept the inconvenience.