rotax carb

Old May 15th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default rotax carb

Amongst all the weighty deliberations on improving safety,
maybe someone experienced and knowlegable about diaphrgam carburetors
could give me guidance.
I fly a PIK 20E , Rotax 501 unreliable engine which has been behaving erratically, surging but not misfiring that I can detect.

From the plugs I see rear cyl lean, front cyl a bit rich.
Does a split carb diaphragm enrich or lean the mixture?

thanks

John F
Old May 25th 20, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:34:29 AM UTC-7, john firth wrote:
Amongst all the weighty deliberations on improving safety,
maybe someone experienced and knowlegable about diaphrgam carburetors
could give me guidance.
I fly a PIK 20E , Rotax 501 unreliable engine which has been behaving erratically, surging but not misfiring that I can detect.

From the plugs I see rear cyl lean, front cyl a bit rich.
Does a split carb diaphragm enrich or lean the mixture?

thanks

John F

I am surprised that it runs at all - the diaphragm is critical for regulating fuel flow thru the carb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBre4-tHsg
You need to overhaul the carb which includes replacing the diaphragm.

Tom
Old May 25th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Before you get too excited about pulling that carb apart check the rubber mount between it and the engine. I’ve heard of them cracking out.
Old May 25th 20, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 11:34:29 AM UTC-4, john firth wrote:
Amongst all the weighty deliberations on improving safety,
maybe someone experienced and knowlegable about diaphrgam carburetors
could give me guidance.
I fly a PIK 20E , Rotax 501 unreliable engine which has been behaving erratically, surging but not misfiring that I can detect.

From the plugs I see rear cyl lean, front cyl a bit rich.
Does a split carb diaphragm enrich or lean the mixture?

thanks

John F

An air leak was found at the shutoff valve , and fixed.
The carbs were pulled and the diaphragms examined; one is a bit stretched
but no holes found. Search for Tillotoson HC spares unsuccessfull.
Rebuilt everything with diaphragms swapped.
Engine now runs smoothly slightly lacking full power.
Rear cyl still hot as shown by EGT.
JMF
Old May 25th 20, 09:39 PM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

An air leak was found at the shutoff valve , and fixed.
The carbs were pulled and the diaphragms examined; one is a bit stretched
but no holes found. Search for Tillotoson HC spares unsuccessfull.
Rebuilt everything with diaphragms swapped.
Engine now runs smoothly slightly lacking full power.
Rear cyl still hot as shown by EGT.
JMF[/quote]

Hi John

I had a Pik30E in an earlier life and the rear cylinder always ran hotter due I expect to reduced cooling airflow as it is partially shielded by the front cylinder.

Regards
Brett