What have we learned from all this?

Old April 6th 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What have we learned from all this?

“Sitting in your armchair on a Sunday afternoon, not having anything useful to do can be as boring as hell. But please, still don't bring your political thoughts to rec.aviation.soaring.

Find a more appropriate forum, where your extremely valuable and interesting political views and thoughts are appropriately appreciated. “

Mr M everything on ras doesnt have to be glide slope n vario. Many of us are broader minded and politics DOES affect soaring.

Simple solution for you, just dont check into this particular thread. How hard is that? Those of us interested in politics or philosophy or guns and how they relate to soaring can go on with our little discussions without all the snarky and demeaning comments of detractors. You guys can start your own threads and enjoy those discussions.

Simple, everybody wins.

Dan
Old April 6th 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Simple solution for you, just dont check into this particular thread. How hard is that? Those of us interested in politics or philosophy or guns and how they relate to soaring can go on with our little discussions without all the snarky and demeaning comments of detractors. You guys can start your own threads and enjoy those discussions.

Of course, there is always the loony "If I were Mayor of Saskatoon" thread for comedy relief.
Old April 6th 20, 11:22 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, Bill Gates DID, in fact, create the World's Best SELLING Virus. It's called "Windows." And it keeps mutating. We're up to 10 now.
+1 RRTFLMAO
Old April 7th 20, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
....Yearly flu has a higher body count...

I just set a calendar reminder to check in with you on this on 20 January 2021, one year after the first US case was reported. Right now the C19 death toll stands at about 1/4 of a typical year for flu, but its growth rate in many areas is exponential and we're less than a quarter of the way through the year.

--Bob K.
Old April 7th 20, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 12:17:07 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 12:01:36 AM UTC-6, Marton KSz wrote:
Sitting in your armchair on a Sunday afternoon, not having anything useful to do can be as boring as hell. But please, still don't bring your political thoughts to rec.aviation.soaring.

Find a more appropriate forum, where your extremely valuable and interesting political views and thoughts are appropriately appreciated.

Thank you!

While I do have some pretty strong political opinions myself, I do agree that for soaring, it is likely to divide us, at a time where that is the last thing we need. The USA is so polarized right now politically, and some people have a hard time seeing beyond another person's politics. With Soaring in a decline, we should be doing everything we can to stand together and put politics aside for now. At least with regard to soaring.

I suggest not reading - and certainly NOT POSTING on - this thread. And, at the end of the day, not much riles me more than someone wanting to infringe on my freedom of speech.

Tom
Old April 8th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Bob Kuykendall wrote on 4/6/2020 7:12 PM:
On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
....Yearly flu has a higher body count...

I just set a calendar reminder to check in with you on this on 20 January 2021, one year after the first US case was reported. Right now the C19 death toll stands at about 1/4 of a typical year for flu, but its growth rate in many areas is exponential and we're less than a quarter of the way through the year.

And, according to the CDC for the week ending March 28, flu activity is sharply
down and is now low, just the opposite of C19.

Old April 8th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:12:37 PM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
...Yearly flu has a higher body count...

I just set a calendar reminder to check in with you on this on 20 January 2021, one year after the first US case was reported. Right now the C19 death toll stands at about 1/4 of a typical year for flu, but its growth rate in many areas is exponential and we're less than a quarter of the way through the year.

--Bob K.

To get accurate and comparable numbers you will have to wait until the COVID-19 has fully spread throughout the world. The flu and all the other causes of death that pop up on social media to compare against CV19 have been established for many years. First quarter next year is way too early for that comparison. Your guess is as good as mine to when CV has fully spread to all parts of the world.
Craig
Old April 9th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
...Yearly flu has a higher body count. Current king of death, obesity, can't even be bothered to acknowledge the lightweight pretend contender...

Quick update: Covid-19 is now the leading cause of death in the US.

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...nPXngr5AjqRAPs

--Bob K.

Old April 9th 20, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Boy I have a different viewpoint.
And sometimes I have to kick it back towards the center court line...

Most daily deaths?
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state

In 2018, we were killing, by average, 3670 people DAILY in car wrecks in the US. I can't imagine we've cut that in half, but with the StayAtHome mandates, it likely has dropped this month.

That's a few more deaths than the ILLNESS chart which was touted.
And with the scrutiny of covid-19 infection confirmation and mortality reporting, no one cares/reports about counting car wrecks or shootings this month.

I imagine the flu rates have dropped, due to SAH. If we got around the single topic focus, which I view as our more serious disease, we would perhaps find that ALL transmittable illness is down this month.

I agree that SAH will flatten a Covid-19 transmission curve.
I agree that personal filters of any sort, on any percentage of folks, will lessen transmission of lots of things (TB anyone?). All transmissions will drop with social distancing, and hygenic improvements. Duh.

But I have a heel digging response to the guvmint telling the entire US population what to do. The sheeple response scares me. But I have been worried about our 'social training' since the 3 week stand down of civil aviation in 2001, and subsequent creation of DHS and TSA.

I have large worries about 6-7-8 million Americans going on unemployment from a government hugely upside down in cash flow. Never mind that my job evaporated, too.

I prefer to be told what the risks are, and be left to make my choices. I can drive sober, in good weather, at moderate speeds, no distractions, and will accept the risk of someone careening drunk across the median at me.

I don't see a huge difference in my exposure to TB, flu, covid, sars, avian Newcastle being worth crushing the world's economy.

Should this health issue cause us to rethink transportation? Communication? National manufacturing and local sustainability of food supply? Priorities?

Yes.

Am I an isolationist? Raving nationalist? Hopefully not in the negative connotation. Naive? Maybe, still a bit.
Hopeful that we'll return to 'normalcy' & soaring? You damn betcha.

But I've started my garden, just in case I'm not soaring in June.

Cindy

Old April 9th 20, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For all the folks obsessed with body counts.
https://babylonbee.com/news/breaking...about-abortion