Direct To a waypoint in flightplan on Garmin 430

Old February 13th 04, 03:17 PM
Andrew Gideon

Default Direct To a waypoint in flightplan on Garmin 430

On the Bendex/King gear on which I learned, it was easy to skip to another
way point on the flight plan. And this was very convenient, as it comes up
fairly often when IFR, at least for me. For example, I'll very often be
told "direct SBJ" when leaving CDW, only get "direct ..." to the next
waypoint well before I reach SBJ.

All I needed to do was select "direct to", and I could then "knob" my way
through the waypoints on the flight plan. Pressing either "enter" or
"direct to" (I forget which; it's been a way) would have me direct to the
proper waypoint within the flight plan.

On the Garmin with which I fly now, though, I've only found a more
cumbersome way: Select the flight plan button to view the plan, cursor on,
knob to the proper entry, and then press "enter".

This is more work, and more head-down time. I was able to work the B/K gear
w/o looking if I was merely skipping to the next waypoint (press, turn one
click, press). I cannot do that with the Garmin as I need to cycle through
the flight plan once the cursor is on.

But...I vague remember learning a better way to do this with the Garmin.
Does anyone happen to know what it is?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old February 13th 04, 05:13 PM
John Harper

So what you're complaining about is that you have to press one
more button on the Garmin than on the KLN?

John

online.com...

Old February 13th 04, 05:16 PM
Andrew Gideon

John Harper wrote:

So what you're complaining about is that you have to press one
more button on the Garmin than on the KLN?

That, plus I need to look down to "knob" through the entire flight plan.
The cursor doesn't start on the current waypoint, so I cannot just turn the
knob once w/o looking.

- Andrew

Old February 13th 04, 06:08 PM
ArtP

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:16:51 -0500, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

That, plus I need to look down to "knob" through the entire flight plan.
The cursor doesn't start on the current waypoint, so I cannot just turn the
knob once w/o looking.

The GNSx30 points to the way point you just passed, so if you think
you have to go through the entire flight plan I suggest you learn how
to use the GNS before you criticize it.

Old February 13th 04, 06:58 PM
Andrew Gideon

wrote:

That, plus I need to look down to "knob" through the entire flight plan.
The cursor doesn't start on the current waypoint, so I cannot just turn
the knob once w/o looking.

The GNSx30 points to the way point you just passed, so if you think
you have to go through the entire flight plan I suggest you learn how
to use the GNS before you criticize it.

I know of one that didn't do so yesterday, at least using the process I
followed/described. But you might want to read what I actually wrote. If
you did so, you'd note that I thought that there was a better way to do
this that I'd learned and since forgotten.

Thus, I wasn't criticising it but asking for the better process.

Anyway...perhaps this is a software version issue. I originally learned on
a newly installed unit, while the one I was using yesterday was installed
at some time further in the past (I don't know precisely when; it predates
my club membership).

Does Garmin provide software upgrades separate from the navigation data
updates?

- Andrew

Old February 13th 04, 07:14 PM
Jim

I may be wrong, but IIRC...
FPL
Cursor on
Scroll to desired waypoint
Enter
Enter

or is it Direct, Direct?
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 13th 04, 07:22 PM
Jim

FPL
Cursor ON
Scroll to waypoint
Direct
Enter
Enter
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 13th 04, 07:43 PM
ArtP

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:58:04 -0500, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Anyway...perhaps this is a software version issue. I originally learned on
a newly installed unit, while the one I was using yesterday was installed
at some time further in the past (I don't know precisely when; it predates
my club membership).

My GNS430's were installed Jan, 2002. When I press the FPL button the
previous way point is on the top of the screen, the current way point
is one down. I have had one or more software updates (I can't remember
how many) and that behaviors has not changed.

Does Garmin provide software upgrades separate from the navigation data
updates?

Yes. They have to be installed by an avionics shop. They also reset
all of your settings (flight plans, schedular, and display fields).

Old February 13th 04, 11:34 PM

If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
than direct.to

Jim wrote:

FPL
Cursor ON