Will DCA ever be open to GA?

Old September 23rd 04, 06:16 PM
Ron Natalie

"AFisher" wrote in message news:ijB4d.655$Jj4.60@trnddc06...
Does anyone know if National Airport will ever be open to GA?

It is open to GA, but only in a very restricted fashion.

Old September 23rd 04, 07:04 PM
Teacherjh

I've flown in the DC area for close to 18 years. about 15 of them before
September 11th. I never felt inclined to land at National. Not even
once.

National is a very convenient airport. I flew in there once years ago in a
small plane with friends to attend a performance at the Kennedy Center ("Actual
Sho") and it was awesome to be able to take off from my local airstrip, land
right in the middle of DC, and take the Metro right to the gala, and then leave
that same evening and be home before midnight.

Freedom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jose

Old September 28th 04, 10:23 PM
Peter MacPherson

Don't you have to be based there to even qualify for the security screening?

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old September 28th 04, 11:14 PM
Jay Masino

Peter MacPherson wrote:
Don't you have to be based there to even qualify for the security screening?

I think you need to either be elected, appointed, or the president of a
corporation that an elected/appointed official use to work for.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 29th 04, 05:58 PM
Ron Natalie

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message news:fDk6d.38268$He1.32639@attbi_s01...
Don't you have to be based there to even qualify for the security screening?

That's the rules for the other FRZ airports. National has it's own procedures. Of
course, the powerful get special exemption and then cause further problems for everybody
else (like the Kentucky governor).
Old September 29th 04, 07:12 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Ron Natalie" wrote:

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
Don't you have to be based there to even qualify for the security
screening?

That's the rules for the other FRZ airports. National has it's own
procedures. Of
course, the powerful get special exemption and then cause further problems
for everybody
else (like the Kentucky governor).

Unfortunately, we are approaching the way things were done in the old
Soviet Union -- the powerful get special privileges while the "peasants"
are shut out.
Old September 29th 04, 07:37 PM
Ron Natalie

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message newsrfairbairn_spam_sucks-
Unfortunately, we are approaching the way things were done in the old
Soviet Union -- the powerful get special privileges while the "peasants"
are shut out.

If it wasn't for the special privileged National would have been closed decades
ago.

Old September 30th 04, 02:34 AM
bryan chaisone

I also fly helicopters. I used to be able to fly friends to Cabin
John Bridge, call approach and tell them that I want to take rt 3(or
4, I can't remember now) and fly at 200 AGL along Potomac, continue
past CIA HQ, request left orbit around The White House, continue a
little, request left orbit around The Mall and the Capital building,
fly over Pentagon parking lot over 395 and back to Manassas, VA.
Friends visiting the area loved it as I did.

Yeah, I miss landing at College park and eat at 94th AeroSquadron.
Now I drive there to eat.

We are loosing a little more freedom everyday.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone