Stop the noise

Old March 20th 04, 04:08 PM
airads

Default Stop the noise

Feb. 24 - The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association on Tuesday
provided initial support to four Massachusetts pilots - all AOPA
members - facing a lawsuit filed by a few residents. The suit alleges
that the noise signature from the aerobatics performed by the pilots
caused significant harm; they are seeking approximately $1 million in
damages. The pilots are based at various airports, some 20 miles from
the homes of the litigants.

"This is potentially an issue that could affect all pilots engaged in
any type of air commerce - from a Cub to a 747," said AOPA President
Phil Boyer. "We are fully prepared to take this through the federal
system if necessary.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...04-1-108x.html

Frank
Old March 20th 04, 06:07 PM
Jay Honeck

This case has been covered at length in GA News.

What a bunch of friggin' idiots. I hope the judge summarily throws the case
out -- and fines the plaintiffs for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

Too bad our system doesn't allow for such penalties.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Bob Noel

In article yL%6c.49989$po.469112@attbi_s52, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

This case has been covered at length in GA News.

What a bunch of friggin' idiots. I hope the judge summarily throws the
case
out -- and fines the plaintiffs for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

Too bad our system doesn't allow for such penalties.

this is Taxachusetts. such a lawsuit will not get tossed.

--
Bob Noel
Old March 20th 04, 10:15 PM
Ben Smith

There's a similar effort going on in Mineral Point, WI.

http://www.stopthestunts.com

Old March 20th 04, 10:29 PM
Saryon

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:07:26 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

This case has been covered at length in GA News.

What a bunch of friggin' idiots. I hope the judge summarily throws the case
out -- and fines the plaintiffs for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

Too bad our system doesn't allow for such penalties.

Unfortunately the judge is not only not dismissing the case, but has
denied all motions for it to be transferred to Federal District court.
Old March 20th 04, 10:55 PM
Jay Honeck

There's a similar effort going on in Mineral Point, WI.

http://www.stopthestunts.com

Now THAT'S disturbing.

Imagine -- I would KILL to be able to watch aerobatics every day, and these
folks are trying to legally disallow it.

Different strokes.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 21st 04, 10:52 AM
Cub Driver

Evidently there is a real problem under that particular "box," and the
folks opposed to the aerobats include more than one pilot. To live
there and stay sane requires that you close the doors and windows and
keep the air conditioning on high, all summer.

There are nuts on both sides of the issue, and from what I hear, the
AOPA should save its powder for another battle.

wrote:

This case has been covered at length in GA News.

What a bunch of friggin' idiots. I hope the judge summarily throws the case
out -- and fines the plaintiffs for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

Too bad our system doesn't allow for such penalties.

Unfortunately the judge is not only not dismissing the case, but has
denied all motions for it to be transferred to Federal District court.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 21st 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

There are nuts on both sides of the issue, and from what I hear, the
AOPA should save its powder for another battle.

Yeah, after re-reading the issue, it seems they are flying aerobatics from
dawn till dusk, all summer long. (Of course, that's what the reactionary
website says -- not a very reliable source.)

THAT might get to be too much, even for me.

I wonder why they don't just compromise on a four-hour window per day, or
something?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 21st 04, 02:54 PM
Saryon

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 05:52:06 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

Evidently there is a real problem under that particular "box," and the
folks opposed to the aerobats include more than one pilot. To live
there and stay sane requires that you close the doors and windows and
keep the air conditioning on high, all summer.

Well, I live at one edge of the box. The path to/from the practice
area goes right next to my house, so where I am I get the flights
coming, going, and during maneuvers, and that's not restricted to
aerobatics. I don't have to close my windows during the summer. The
practice area itself is centered over I-495, I-290, and the industrial
areas of Marlboro/Hudson at the mall.

Standard bookings are 12 hours/day, 2hr blocks, takes at least 1/2 to
preflight and get to the practice area, 45min, then leave. Total,
4hr/day onsite, and that's if the aerobatic aircraft are booked for
100% of their possible bookings. However, it should be noted that
they're not just griping about aerobatics, they want to "deal with the
unnecessary noise that is a direct consequence of unnecessary
recreational flying. We believe that such activities force you to
subsidize them by giving up your property, your privacy, your peace
and your quiet so that a wealthy few may zoom about in their noisy
little airplanes." That is targeting normal PPL and instrument and
commercial maneuvers, etc. Their end-goal is to make pilots *BUY*
their practice areas and go fly over that instead.

The group in question is headed up by a lawyer who is doing it all
pro-bono. I don't know of any pilots on the stop-the-noise crew, but
of course just like they're griping that we don't paint 50' tall
N-numbers on the aircraft so they can't write in and complain, they
don't list themselves by name on their site either so it's hard to
tell who they really are.

The people aren't even contending that any FAR's or laws have been
broken. I believe that airspace is the reserve of the Federal
Government, so it seems to be a proper request to have it moved out of
state court.

There are nuts on both sides of the issue, and from what I hear, the
AOPA should save its powder for another battle.

Dunno. They're targeting *all* aircraft doing anything within earshot
of them. Where does it stop?

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old March 21st 04, 03:02 PM
Jay Honeck

I don't know of any pilots on the stop-the-noise crew, but
of course just like they're griping that we don't paint 50' tall
N-numbers on the aircraft so they can't write in and complain, they
don't list themselves by name on their site either so it's hard to
tell who they really are.

I find this statement extraordinarily funny/ironic, coming as it does from
an anonymous poster.

There are nuts on both sides of the issue, and from what I hear, the
AOPA should save its powder for another battle.

Dunno. They're targeting *all* aircraft doing anything within earshot
of them. Where does it stop?

Thanks for clarifying the issue.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Stop the noise airads Owning 112 July 6th 04 06:42 PM
Stop the noise airads Aerobatics 131 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Stop the noise airads General Aviation 88 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Prop noise vs. engine noise Morgans Piloting 8 December 24th 03 03:24 AM