CUrtiss Hawk 75 performance debate

Old July 14th 03, 10:27 PM
Jukka O. Kauppinen

Default CUrtiss Hawk 75 performance debate

We have an interesting debate going on about the performance of the
Curtiss Hawk 75 fighter in an simulator.

The debate has gone on for some months while the research has been done
in aviation museums and the guys have pondered on the differences
between American factore numbers, French numbers and Finnish flight test
numbers about the fighter's performance.

Looks like we're getting to the finals now.

WOuld anyone take a look at the following web page and give comments
whether the discussion and conclusions about the (real) aircraft
performance, engine etc seem truthful / correct? Or are there any clear
problems visible to you?

http://www.byterapers.com/~grendel/m...shawk75debate/

jok

Old July 15th 03, 10:49 AM
Cub Driver

Jukka, do you have Erik Shilling's post on the spin characteristics of
the Curtiss fighters? If not, you can read it at
www.danford.net/p40spin.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 15th 03, 11:10 PM
Jukka O. Kauppinen

Jukka, do you have Erik Shilling's post on the spin characteristics of
the Curtiss fighters? If not, you can read it at
www.danford.net/p40spin.htm

No, didn't have it, thanks a lot.

Shilling's view about the snap roll seems interesting. One FiAF Hawk
pilot says it was very hard to get into spin, that the plane took very
well to pulling it through maneuvers. I'll be putting together my
results from various Hawk pilot interviews sooner or later for some
comparison.

A request, though.

"A & AEE (British) test with an A-4 model (1941) reported the maximum
speed 486km/h 4300m and highest climb 2870kg mass 13.2m/s , an a ceiling
of 10 300m"

How could I get this test? Or the text? Or the results? Anyone?

jok

Old July 16th 03, 10:45 AM
Cub Driver

"A & AEE (British) test with an A-4 model (1941) reported the maximum
speed 486km/h 4300m and highest climb 2870kg mass 13.2m/s , an a ceiling
of 10 300m"

How could I get this test? Or the text? Or the results? Anyone?

Jukka, where is the quote from? Not from Erik's posting.

I got a bunch of British flight test reports from the files at
National Air & Space Museum Archives. They maintain a file for every
warplane of interest; sometimes these are massive, including the
Wright Field test reports. The British reports for the Brewster
Buffalo were there; I've posted them at www.danford.net/eagle.htm

Do you know anyone in Washington who might have time on his hands and
looking for an excuse to visit NASM? It's not a big deal to get into
the archives, though now you need an appointment (thank bin Laden).

Curtiss Pusher Model D Home Built 12 February 22nd 18 10:50 PM
Performance Comparison Sheet Ed Baker Home Built 6 December 2nd 04 02:14 AM
Kitty Hawk Bound -- Posters and Such Jim Weir Home Built 2 December 1st 03 04:56 AM
Kitty Hawk Tickets? [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 7th 03 03:20 AM
Arming Global Hawk Draws Conflicting Comments From Pentagon Larry Dighera Military Aviation 5 July 14th 03 08:51 PM