Unusual Traffic

Old August 17th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

Default Unusual Traffic

Airbus wrote:
After an ILS to 04 at KSCH the other day, we broke out into decent VFR,
so I asked for some closed pattern work. On downwind, they asked us to
hold 360 degrees "Traffic is a Boeing B-17, your twelve o'clock, two
miles . . ." Then "Number two, behind the Boeing . . ." I followed him in
from left base and watched him land, did a go-around just to fly over and
get a look at him, coasting lazily across the ramp. A couple of patterns
later he was lined up for takeoff again, and I got a full base-leg view
of him lumbering off runway 22. How many times have I told myself you
should always have a digital point-and-shoot in your flight bag . . .

Was it "Sentimental Journey"? She made a brief stop-over in Vancouver
(along with the CAF's Heinkel 111) a few years ago. Toured through both
with my two sons. Fabulous!!!
Old August 17th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Airbus" wrote in message
After an ILS to 04 at KSCH the other day, we broke out into decent VFR,
so I asked for some closed pattern work. On downwind, they asked us to
hold 360 degrees "Traffic is a Boeing B-17, your twelve o'clock, two
miles . . ." Then "Number two, behind the Boeing . . ." I followed him in
from left base and watched him land, did a go-around just to fly over and
get a look at him, coasting lazily across the ramp. A couple of patterns
later he was lined up for takeoff again, and I got a full base-leg view
of him lumbering off runway 22. How many times have I told myself you
should always have a digital point-and-shoot in your flight bag . . .

That's one of the great aspects of flying, you just never know what you're
going to encounter. A B-17 is a rare find as there aren't that many of them
left flying. We are fortunate here in Texas to have a flying B-17s based
here, so you occassionally run across it flying around. They are restoring
another one to flying status in Houston also.

Just the other day I made a fuel stop at KGEY and spotted two PB4Y-2
Privateers on the ramp (both looked airworthy) and an old military aircraft
graveyard off to the side of the runway.

Old August 18th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 17, 1:32*pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Airbus" wrote in message

[...]

Much better than my unusual traffic story -- number one and ready to
take off from Williamsport PA. The airplane just taking off told the
tower there was a turtle crossing the runway 500 feet down from the
numbers. Tower told me "Exercise caution, turtle crossing, wake
turbulence." Who said the guys in the tower had no sense of humor?

Old August 18th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Frank Olson wrote:
Was it "Sentimental Journey"? She made a brief stop-over in Vancouver
(along with the CAF's Heinkel 111) a few years ago. Toured through both
with my two sons. Fabulous!!!

I had a ride on Nine-O-Nine out of Sunnyvale, California, a few years
ago. Pretty interesting, especially sitting up in the nose and watching
those props (a little weird!). Sentimental Journey lives here in Mesa
most of the time. You know the Heinkel is no more ... sad.
Old August 18th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale[_3_]

In article ,
Airbus wrote:

After an ILS to 04 at KSCH the other day, we broke out into decent VFR,
so I asked for some closed pattern work. On downwind, they asked us to
hold 360 degrees "Traffic is a Boeing B-17, your twelve o'clock, two
miles . . ." Then "Number two, behind the Boeing . . ." I followed him in
from left base and watched him land, did a go-around just to fly over and
get a look at him, coasting lazily across the ramp. A couple of patterns
later he was lined up for takeoff again, and I got a full base-leg view
of him lumbering off runway 22. How many times have I told myself you
should always have a digital point-and-shoot in your flight bag . . .

I used to fly the B-17 and B-24 for the Collings Foundation. We (the
B24) were inroute to Anchorage, Alaska. SE of Cordova we meet a Turbine
Otter heading south. He calls on 122.8 and asks our type of aircraft
and we told him B-24 Liberator. He replied that he thought that's what
we were but was surprised to see us so wanted to make sure. We didn't
tell him that a few miles in trail was the B-17 9-0-0. After a few
minutes comes back up on 22.8 with "holy **** guys, did you know there's
a B-17 behind you?!"

It was a lot of fun flying those airplanes. G
Old August 18th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

Shirl wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:
Was it "Sentimental Journey"? She made a brief stop-over in Vancouver
(along with the CAF's Heinkel 111) a few years ago. Toured through both
with my two sons. Fabulous!!!

I had a ride on Nine-O-Nine out of Sunnyvale, California, a few years
ago. Pretty interesting, especially sitting up in the nose and watching
those props (a little weird!). Sentimental Journey lives here in Mesa
most of the time. You know the Heinkel is no more ... sad.

I'd heard that. I did manage to grab one of the last remain XL T-shirts
before she left Vancouver though...
Old August 18th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Dale wrote:
I used to fly the B-17 and B-24 for the Collings Foundation. We (the
B24) were inroute to Anchorage, Alaska. SE of Cordova we meet a Turbine
Otter heading south. He calls on 122.8 and asks our type of aircraft
and we told him B-24 Liberator. He replied that he thought that's what
we were but was surprised to see us so wanted to make sure. We didn't
tell him that a few miles in trail was the B-17 9-0-0. After a few
minutes comes back up on 22.8 with "holy **** guys, did you know there's
a B-17 behind you?!"

I took a ride on 9-0-9 at a Collings event in 2002 out of Moffet Field,
CA ... the B-24 was there that day, too. Was that you at the controls?
If so, thanks ... nice ride!
Old August 18th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Mike wrote:
in your flight bag . . .

That's one of the great aspects of flying, you just never know what you're
going to encounter. A B-17 is a rare find as there aren't that many of them
left flying.

Earlier this year the tower called out a B-17 as traffic when I entered the
pattern at my local field. It turned out to be Sentimental Journey which was
coming for a weekend visit. A few weeks later I was inbound from a cross
country flight and the tower again called out a B-17 as traffic. I expected
that Sentimental Journey was back (it's based nearby) and was surprised to
see that this was a totally different B-17 in the pattern. Turns out that
the Collings Foundation planes were making a visit.

I kept my eyes out for Aluminum Overcast for the next few weeks, but it
didn't appear :-))

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old August 18th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in message
Mike wrote:
in your flight bag . . .

[...]

In case anyone is curious, the second half of the tour schedule, meaning
after Airventure, for the Aluminum Overcast is posted on:
http://www.b17.org/tour/

Peter

Some Unusual Airplanes javawizard Piloting 1 October 21st 07 05:05 PM
Unusual ECI Cylinder [email protected] Home Built 4 July 7th 05 01:27 AM
Traffic 2004 vs Ultimate Traffic Tlewis95 Simulators 3 August 13th 04 05:39 AM
Unusual Request ddddd Piloting 5 May 1st 04 03:33 PM
Unusual Procedure at DFW Toks Desalu Piloting 9 December 17th 03 05:27 PM