Dutch rolls

Old May 16th 04, 03:46 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"John Carrier" writes:
Dutch roll is an unavoidable dynamic response, not a desirable
maneuver. It's no more useful than the phugoid. And no more
intentional.

You've never seen Dutch roll til you've seen it at high Mach. Quite
disconcerting @ 1.75 (at this speed, we're supposed to be going straight,
eh?).

On the subject of instability, what was the aerodynamic cause of the X-2's
departure and crash? Adverse yaw + minimal directional stability?

That, and a bit of Roll Coupling, as well.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old May 16th 04, 07:37 AM
Ian MacLure

Mary Shafer wrote in
:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:21:39 +0100, "Jim Doyle"
wrote:

I've been thinking about this, and although I'm far from being an
authority on air combat, I can't see dutch rolls being a beneficial
combat manoeuvre in the slightest. Even though the aircraft is
oscillating in yaw and pitch the track heading remains the same, so
surely it's straight forward to get shots on target?

Dutch roll is an unavoidable dynamic response, not a desirable
maneuver. It's no more useful than the phugoid. And no more
intentional.

Specifically its a coupled roll-yaw phenomemnon supposedly
getting its name from the motion attributed to Dutch
sailing vessels ( the design of which was influenced
by the shallow coastal waters in which they often
operated ) of yore. Not sure I believe this but its
the conventional explanation.
I believe early 747 models had a small problem with this
making passengers in the aft rows ill.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source