Replacing REM40E with REM37BY?

Old February 22nd 04, 12:20 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Replacing REM40E with REM37BY?

I'm told the 37BY is shorter and runs cooler then the 40E. The 40E's
are installed in a certified a/c.
Would an IA object to me changing to the 37BYs (I need the shorter
length), and what effect will I see on performance? - Mike
Old February 22nd 04, 01:27 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:20:25 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

I'm told the 37BY is shorter and runs cooler then the 40E. The 40E's
are installed in a certified a/c.
Would an IA object to me changing to the 37BYs (I need the shorter
length), and what effect will I see on performance? - Mike

you would probably see some plug fouling if using leaded fuels.
my O-200 was swapped to REM40E's from the standard REM38E's for
100/130 Avgas use and has no real problems with plug fouling.

I think what you need to do to get useful answers from the group is
indicate what fuel you will be using.
Stealth Pilot
Old February 22nd 04, 03:55 PM
Michael Horowitz

wrote:

I'm told the 37BY is shorter and runs cooler then the 40E. The 40E's
are installed in a certified a/c.
Would an IA object to me changing to the 37BYs (I need the shorter
length), and what effect will I see on performance? - Mike

you would probably see some plug fouling if using leaded fuels.
my O-200 was swapped to REM40E's from the standard REM38E's for
100/130 Avgas use and has no real problems with plug fouling.

I think what you need to do to get useful answers from the group is
indicate what fuel you will be using.
Stealth Pilot

OK, this is an A-65, with the STC for autogas, so I can run either or
both Avgas or Autogas - Mike

Old February 22nd 04, 06:36 PM
Cy Galley

I know that the 37BY is FAA approved for your small Continental engine.

--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for Sport Pilot

Old February 22nd 04, 07:18 PM
Michael Horowitz

"Cy Galley" wrote:

I know that the 37BY is FAA approved for your small Continental engine.

Thank you sir! - Mike