A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nimbus 2B flaps/trim

Old September 12th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Airbuh
external usenet poster

Default Nimbus 2B flaps/trim

Gents, Aaron Thomson here. I used to run Morgan Valley Soaring in Morgan UT.. After starting a career with Delta Air Lines and starting a family I have returned to soaring and recently purchased a Nimbus 2B. I've had my first successful flight but noticed something odd about the flaps and the elevator trim. My Nimbus has a flap handle that is located on the left side of the seat pan. That being said as many of you Schempp Hirth guys know the elevator trim is located in the same location and is connected to the flaps to provide less need for trimming when changing flap settings. What I have observed is that I can't move the flap position at all when the green trim knob is tightened down. If I loosen the trim knob and take it out of the trim detents I can now change flap settings. This seems odd to me but I thought I would seek advice from the experts!
Can someone clarify this for me?

Aaron Thomson,
Nimbus 2B N71TT
S/N 136
Old September 13th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

That's not right. I have a Ventus C and once you set the trim you can move the flaps all day and not have to touch the trim. While this is not a Nimbus 2, I have flown a Nimbus 2 and this is definitely not right. Have a knowledgeable mechanic look at it.

Bob
BV

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 10:06:52 AM UTC-7, Aaron Thomson wrote:
Gents, Aaron Thomson here. I used to run Morgan Valley Soaring in Morgan UT. After starting a career with Delta Air Lines and starting a family I have returned to soaring and recently purchased a Nimbus 2B. I've had my first successful flight but noticed something odd about the flaps and the elevator trim. My Nimbus has a flap handle that is located on the left side of the seat pan. That being said as many of you Schempp Hirth guys know the elevator trim is located in the same location and is connected to the flaps to provide less need for trimming when changing flap settings. What I have observed is that I can't move the flap position at all when the green trim knob is tightened down. If I loosen the trim knob and take it out of the trim detents I can now change flap settings. This seems odd to me but I thought I would seek advice from the experts!

Aaron Thomson,
Nimbus 2B N71TT
S/N 136

Old September 13th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-6, Aaron Thomson wrote:
Gents, Aaron Thomson here. I used to run Morgan Valley Soaring in Morgan UT. After starting a career with Delta Air Lines and starting a family I have returned to soaring and recently purchased a Nimbus 2B. I've had my first successful flight but noticed something odd about the flaps and the elevator trim. My Nimbus has a flap handle that is located on the left side of the seat pan. That being said as many of you Schempp Hirth guys know the elevator trim is located in the same location and is connected to the flaps to provide less need for trimming when changing flap settings. What I have observed is that I can't move the flap position at all when the green trim knob is tightened down. If I loosen the trim knob and take it out of the trim detents I can now change flap settings. This seems odd to me but I thought I would seek advice from the experts!

Aaron Thomson,
Nimbus 2B N71TT
S/N 136

Hi Aaron,

The flap control and elevator trim on my Mini Nimbus, although located close to each other, are independent. Once set the trim position does not effect the flap movement and flap movement does not effect the trim in any way.

Mike
Old September 13th 17, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aaron Thomson
external usenet poster

Thanks for the input, it sure doesn't seem right to me. I am an A&P and I need to investigate further. Looks I'll need to pull the seat pan and figure it out. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Aaron Thomson
Old September 13th 17, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aaron Thomson
external usenet poster

Hey Mike my trim appears to be flap position compensated, I am going to pull the seat pan and figure this thing out. I have to wonder if the trim screw has been replaced and could be too long and thus interfering with the flap control tube. Not sure why it's doing what it is, but it sure doesn't feel right to me.

Aaron Thomson
Old September 13th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]
external usenet poster

On many Schempp-Hirth gliders the trim moves with flap settings - flaps negative moves the trim forward and flaps positive moves the trim back. The advertised idea being that you only set trim once.

I believe the trim lever is mounted on sliding tube on the flaps rod. Possibly corrosion and/or missing lubrication blocks the sliding mechanism causing the interconnection.
Old September 13th 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

,"If I loosen the trim knob and take it out of the trim detents"

I have not directly looked at the nimbus 2 but all the other Schemp-hirth products I have looked at, do not have trim detents. My ventus b has a sliding knob that is located on the flap sliding tube and moves with the flap handle. when tightened this makes (thru the use of a spring attached to the elevator circuit) the control stick have pressure fore and aft according to stick position. But the flap position is not hindered unless you hold the stick from moving. Then only deterred by spring tension. So definitely something wrong there.

CH
Old September 13th 17, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:14:07 AM UTC-6, wrote:
,"If I loosen the trim knob and take it out of the trim detents"

I have not directly looked at the nimbus 2 but all the other Schemp-hirth products I have looked at, do not have trim detents. My ventus b has a sliding knob that is located on the flap sliding tube and moves with the flap handle. when tightened this makes (thru the use of a spring attached to the elevator circuit) the control stick have pressure fore and aft according to stick position. But the flap position is not hindered unless you hold the stick from moving. Then only deterred by spring tension. So definitely something wrong there.

CH

Similar to my Mini C, but it has detents. Set the trim at best L/D and forget it. All flap settings will have 'approximately' the same amount of stick pressure at any speed.
Old September 13th 17, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aaron Thomson
external usenet poster

Thanks Alex, I will be looking closely at the flap tube where the trim is located for proper operation and lubrication.

Aaron Thomson
Old September 13th 17, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aaron Thomson
external usenet poster

Thanks Cliff,

I agree, my Nimbus should work as you described. I hope to find something wrong and either lube it or make sure it's operation properly.

Kind Regards,

Aaron Thomson