Beating Nausea

Old December 17th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
S Culver

Default Beating Nausea

Does anyone have recommendations on how to permanently beat nausea while
flying aerobatics? I know of all the commonly reported ways to *temporarily*
beat it: ginger snaps, the electronic wristband, etc.

I've been taking lessons in a 152 Aerobat for about 6 months now, and almost
every time we fly, I can last about 35-45 minutes before I start to get
nauseus and get a headache. I've not noticed much of any increase in my
tolerace at all even as I've flown more.

Any recommendations/thoughts?

-scott

Old December 18th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
NoSpam

S Culver wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations on how to permanently beat nausea while
flying aerobatics? I know of all the commonly reported ways to *temporarily*
beat it: ginger snaps, the electronic wristband, etc.

I've been taking lessons in a 152 Aerobat for about 6 months now, and almost
every time we fly, I can last about 35-45 minutes before I start to get
nauseus and get a headache. I've not noticed much of any increase in my
tolerace at all even as I've flown more.

Any recommendations/thoughts?

-scott

Make sure you eat beforehand, very tight lap strap, keep eyes actively
focussed on the horizon whenever possible (and I don't mean stare over
the nose!). Make sure you have a sick bag so you can be confident that
being ill won't be a problem.
Some demo's are essential but make sure that the instructor does as
little flying as possible; when you are "following through" make sure
you are actively thinking about flying the aircraft rather than just
sitting there - actively look at the horizon (wherever it is).
If this doesn't help, then try only moving your head in one plane when
under g. Also, consider trying a low-wing type with a transparent canopy
- the Aerobat is not the most enjoyable or rewarding aircraft and the
view is rather restricted.

Dave
Old December 18th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics

NoSpam wrote:
The only thing I'll add to Dave's response is...
Make sure you eat beforehand

and hydrated
If one thing gets me, it will be forgetting to drink
water before I head out. If there's a way to carry it
safely, consider taking a water bottle along.

And 35 minutes ain't bad. You won't see the
unlimited pilots going out for long workouts.

Finally, don't be a stubborn jackass.:-) Quit as soon
as you start to feel yucky. (The one thing I don't
enjoy is an instructor that wants to get the full
hour in, no matter what.)

Have fun doin the aeros, rick

Old December 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Duke le Palois

Any recommendations/thoughts?
Hi
I think there is no need to fly more than 40 minutes, after that, even
if you don't feel nauseous, there is little luck that you could learn
anything.
I guess the good length of a flight is around those 35-40 minutes,
whatever accelerations you could experience. What you will improve is
the amount of gs you can bear in that period of time considering very
high level pilots rarely fly more than 30 minutes, even if it's often a
problem of *fuel* endurance !
As told by other contributors, maybe a different plane with a clearer
front view could help focusing on the horizon instead of focusing on
your feelings.
And also, as usual, drink water, eat enough, and train your abdominal
muscles.
Yann, CAP 10B, Pau France
Old January 30th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
SkyGod

take a sour bonbon, that was helping me when I was flying sailplanes,
of course you could choke on it doing aerobatics