Jim Weir: help to add car radio to aviation audio panel music input

Old April 21st 05, 01:57 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ofC9e.56373$lz2.17509@fed1read07,
Carl / KG6YKL wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

jury-rig solution

Okay, this is way off topic but I have to know the history of this
expression. It is my understanding that the correct term is
"Jerry-rigged" or "Jerryrigged" which is based on the pejorative term
"Jerry" for Japanese, used during WWII. The way it was told to me is
that near the end of WWII Jerry (the Japanese) were badly beaten and
much of their equipment was non-operational. However the Japanese
were very resourceful at doing whatever it took to get things working.
So people started talking about "Jerry-rigging" things.

All well and good, except for one fact. "Jerry" referred to the _Germans_,
not the Japanese.

Oh, yeah, a second "inconvenient" fact -- the term _was_ in use *before*
WWII.

Obviously the term "Jerry" is racially insensitive which probably led
to the alteration of the term.

Obviously "nonsense". grin

However, isn't "Jerryrigged" a
complimentary term when you consider it implies resourcefulness?

It's usually used in a mildly disparaging way -- implying an "ad hoc"
solution of a _temporary_ nature, and, thus, a lack of durability,
Something where it will be necessary to "come back later, and do it right".

In an _emergency_ situation, such methodologies are justified.
In a non-emergency, it's because somebody wasn't willing to expend
the effort to 'do it right' the _first_ time; with the expectation that
"somebody else" will be responsible for 'making it right' later.

Thus, the pejorative meaning -- because it is _usually_ applied to
"non-emergency" constructs.
Old April 21st 05, 02:46 AM
Ric

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:14:23 -0700, Carl / KG6YKL
wrote:

:RST Engineering wrote:
:
: jury-rig solution
:
:Okay, this is way off topic but I have to know the history of this
:expression. It is my understanding that the correct term is
:"Jerry-rigged" or "Jerryrigged" which is based on the pejorative term
:"Jerry" for Japanese, used during WWII. The way it was told to me is
:that near the end of WWII Jerry (the Japanese) were badly beaten and
:much of their equipment was non-operational. However the Japanese
:were very resourceful at doing whatever it took to get things working.
:So people started talking about "Jerry-rigging" things.

1) Jerry was the Germans, back to WW1

2) The Japanese were NOT very good at improvising. One of the
problems of a strict hierarchical society. They were better than the
Germans, but nowhere near as good as the Nebraska farm boys.

3) Look up Jury Strut. It's the secondary strut on a strut braced
high wing aircraft. I don't know, but I'll bet its the same root.

I thought it something to do with large amounts of money turning up in the
accounts of 12 of your peers....

Old April 21st 05, 03:13 AM
Montblack

("Carl / KG6YKL" wrote)
snips
Obviously the term "Jerry" is racially insensitive which probably led to
the alteration of the term. However, isn't "Jerryrigged" a complimentary
term when you consider it implies resourcefulness? Lemmonaide from
lemmons?

So, what do folks out there think?

"Jerry" is not racially insensitive. Good Lord ..."obviously."

I don't know why these terms MUST always be assumed to be pejorative. Also,
wasn't Jerry used to talk about the Germans? Jerry Cans comes to mind.

Is Yank racially insensitive? If one person claims it is, is it? How about
Red, as in Red-baiting, or Red Army? How about playfully calling NHL hockey
players "Commies" who come from the former Eastern Block nations?
Pejorative? ...which (btw) is a word losing it's meaning these days.

Growing weary....

"Jerryrigging" is still OK - along with your toaster being on the Fritz
....still OK.

Piper names are hanging in there too - still OK.

We're losing color in our language as people try desperately to assign
victim status to virtually everyone, or anything. Good and Ungood isn't far
behind, which if it happens would be doubleplusungood!

Montblack
Little school kids now sit "noodle style" on the floor because some dolt
decided that "Indian style" was an offensive term. I would love to find out
that "noodle style" is preferred by kids because it sounds funny. Teachers,
however, are pushing it for racial sensitivity reasons.

Old April 21st 05, 03:21 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Carl / KG6YKL wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

jury-rig solution

Okay, this is way off topic but I have to know the history of this
expression. It is my understanding that the correct term is
"Jerry-rigged" or "Jerryrigged" which is based on the pejorative term
"Jerry" for Japanese, used during WWII.

Close, "jerry" was British slang for the Germans.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old April 21st 05, 03:22 AM
Carl / KG6YKL

Robert Bonomi wrote:

All well and good, except for one fact. "Jerry" referred to the _Germans_,
not the Japanese.

*blush* When I first started typing I was spelling it Gerryrigged
thinking it might be german but as I read the other web pages I
assumed they were right and changed it to Japanese. Well, I'll blame
my public education and lack of self-study.

In an _emergency_ situation, such methodologies are justified.

This is the "positive" reference I was making.

So, now I will use Juryrigged with an understanding of the naval
reference.
Old April 21st 05, 03:25 AM
Carl / KG6YKL

Richard Riley wrote:

2) The Japanese were NOT very good at improvising. One of the
problems of a strict hierarchical society. They were better than the
Germans, but nowhere near as good as the Nebraska farm boys.

The Nebraska farm boys experience tinkering with tractors, trucks, and
cars is credited with us adapting so well to mechanized warfare. They
already had much of the understanding & skills needed to fix trucks,
tanks, and aircraft. Their counterparts had likely never seen such
contrivances.

Old April 21st 05, 03:31 AM
Montblack

("Richard Riley" wrote)
2) The Japanese were NOT very good at improvising. One of the
problems of a strict hierarchical society. They were better than the
Germans, but nowhere near as good as the Nebraska farm boys.

Odd, I would have given the mechanical tinkering edge to the German soldier
over a Japanese soldier. Maybe because German society had been
industrialized, on a number of levels, longer than Japan.

Montblack

Old April 21st 05, 03:41 AM
Montblack

("Carl / KG6YKL" wrote)
snip
Most sources claim that the origin of the word jerryrig is unknown, but
William and Mary Morris, in Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins (see my
bibliography), indicate that the term is likely a corrupted form of
juryrig, which referred to temporary rigging on a ship. Jury as used in
juryrig (which arose in the 17th century) likely comes from Old French
ajurie `help, relief.' The 'temporarily repair' sense remained with the
word juryrig, while its nautical roots faded away. The vulgar expression
to which you refer is likely patterned after juryrig and jerryrig.

I really enjoy the old nautical terms that are still used today - in one
form or another.

Montblack

Old April 21st 05, 04:31 AM

On 20 Apr 2005 15:55:16 -0700, "Brian DeFord"
wrote:

Jim,

I originally posted this, so I'll try to answer some of the
speculation. This is a copy of the Alpine CD spec from their web site -
same as the booklet I got with the radio:

GENERAL
Power Requirement 14.4 V DC
(11-16 V allowable)
Maximum Power Output 60 W × 4 (CDA-9815/
CDA-9813)
50W × 4 (CDA-9811)
Maximum Pre-Output Voltage 4 V/10 k ohms
Weight CDA-9815/CDA-9813
1.7 kg (3 lbs. 12 oz)

So as you can see they don't say wether the 4V is rms or not. The
Garmin unit did, so that's why I quoted the specs as I did.

As far as the circuit goes, I looked on the web for some help and came
across a site that appears to show the circuit you are talking about.
The site is:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../npncc.html#c3

and shows a diagram of the circuit. Is this the right one? If so, I
still need help (I'm not in the league one of the freshmen students you
refer to - sorry!) in determining the actual value of the resistors and
capacitors and transistor parts needed. I can make my way to Radio
Shack or Frys Electronics to buy the stuff and assemble it, but I just
don't have the background to determine the values. Thanks for your
help!
Brian

Click on the "to numeric examples" and it gives values and how to
determine them.

Old April 21st 05, 04:36 AM
Netgeek

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:

As to the Dr. Weir, no, I dropped out of the doctoral program when I
realized that what was being taught was roughly five to seven years

behind
the stuff that I had already done. That wasn't what I wanted to waste

my
time on ... and my own company wasn't going to pay me one cent more for

doctorate. I'm the "dumb" one of the family; both my brothers have

their
PhD.

Dumb isn't lacking a Ph.D., it is having your own company. :-)

Matt

Amen.... (having been there).....

On the one hand:

B.S. = Bull ****
M.S. = More ****
PHD = Piled Higher and Deeper

But the truth is:

(Sung to the tune of the Mickey Mouse theme song)

M..I..T
P..H..D..