ATC-pilot User Groups

Old December 4th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Esres[_2_]

Default ATC-pilot User Groups

I'm considering setting up a controller/pilot user group locally.
Does anyone else here have experience with such groups? I'd be
interested in the format, content, and involvement of such meetings.

Thanks
Old December 4th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Greg Esres wrote:
I'm considering setting up a controller/pilot user group locally.
Does anyone else here have experience with such groups? I'd be
interested in the format, content, and involvement of such meetings.

Thanks

I'd start by contacting the local facility and speaking with a local
manager.

I've been to Wings seminars where the topic was "Ask the Controllers",
as well as participated in facility tours. The Wings seminar guests
included FAA controllers, as well as local contract tower controllers.

A few years ago (but still post 9/11), I took a tour of BDL app/dep and
tower that was absolutely incredible. A normal tour might include a
guide pointing out the departments, introducing a few folks, etc...
This was much better, a total of 3 hours! We were there on an IFR
night, with a touch of wind shear, making things even more interesting.

I spent the first 90 minutes in the basement, with the app/dep folks.
I was allowed to "work" live traffic at a console in a training room,
and spent a decent amount of time plugged in with a working controller.
The on-duty guy demonstrated ATC weather capabilites, different
his position. In the training room the capabilities to change sectors,
and even work NYC or BOS traffic from our facility was demonstrated.

The next 90 minutes was spent in the tower cab, shadowing the different
jobs up there (tower, ground, and a WX / ATIS person). Each person
explained the parts of the airport they owned.

This tour was arranged with a simple phone call, and was not a special
event or scheduled open house. I'd try the same for a user meeting.
Old December 4th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Esres[_2_]

This tour was arranged with a simple phone call, and was not a
special
event or scheduled open house.

Did the same thing about 10 years ago at ZFW. Good experience.

I'm discussing the issue with a controller presently, but I'm
envisioning an on-going process, such as meeting every two months or
so. I'm not sure if the entire pilot population should be invited or
only the "opinion leaders", such as flight instructors, flight school
managers, etc, people who have access to large numbers of pilots.

I see this as a two-way process. Controllers need to be educated
about pilots just like we need to be educated about controllers. If
there are problems, together we might be able to work out solutions
satisfactory to both parties.

I also see perhaps a web site devoted to controller/pilot issues.

Thanks