Snaps in the Decathlon

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14th 04, 10:10 AM
Borislav Deianov

EDR wrote:
In article , Borislav
Deianov wrote:

I have the same problem as Dave, except I'm flying a Citabria 7KCAB
(fixed pitch, 150hp). And it's only a problem when I fly solo. I can
do a reasonable snap roll with an instructor in the back.

Fly solo from the rear seat.
It snaps reallly well!

The manual I have is for 7ECA, 7GCAA, 7KCAB, 7GCBC, effective serial
numbers -75 and up. It lists the following placard on the instrument
panel: "Occupy Front Seat When Flying Solo".

Run some CG calculations for different fuel loads.

Good idea. Here are the results in several configurations (for the
airplane I fly):

dual, 1/2 fuel 15.59" c.g.
solo, full fuel 12.70" c.g.
solo, 1/2 fuel 11.90" c.g.
solo, empty fuel 10.98" c.g.

7KCAB aerobatic c.g. range: 10.6" - 16.0"

So more fuel will help when flying solo. Unfortunately, I don't have
too much flexibility there, as the FBO likes to keep about 1/2 fuel in
it (to stay under gross on dual flights).

Thanks,
Boris