Americans propose standing international peacekeeping force

Old June 30th 03, 09:26 PM

Default Americans propose standing international peacekeeping force

On 30-Jun-2003, TMOliver wrote:

...Simply attempting to make your stay brief and for the rst of
us productive, for one who feels that US a/c stationed in the
UK or bases like Holy Loch had nothing to do with the defense of
the UK can hardly be expected eat his Pablum without splashing,
much less discuss naval matters.

and much more pungent wit and brilliant recitation....

Well Said TMO!

Ken Fowler
Old July 1st 03, 03:40 AM
Mary Shafer

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:05:19 -0500, TMOliver
wrote:

Something that can't be clipped and still be preserved.

You go, dude!

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN
Old July 1st 03, 08:32 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , TMOliver
writes
(Kenneth Williams) iterated.....

So nice of Mr. Rumsfeld to think that one up. Someone should
wake that old buzzard up to the fact that we British have
been doing it far longer than America has and with far less
troops and equipment to supply.

Well, throughout the latter half of the 40s, and the decades
afteruntil the wall crumbled, we maintained a substantial force
shielding the UK from the perils of its own (necessary)
parsimony. I kind of always contemplated that along with their
hostage role, USForces Europe, were substantial Peacekeepers of
a peace that the Europeans couldn't (or wouldn't) manage to keep
for themselves. Onlt the US presence during those years allowed
the UK to dispatch the occasional battalion to some restive
backwater conflict.

As for the far longer, I've a photo of my grandpa during his
days asa "Peacekeeper", 1918 in Germany. Atr least he avoided
representing British commercial and political interests propping
up the "Whites" in a variety of scummy Russian harborsides.

Now poor America is being stretched all over the globe and
suddenly needs help from everyone else.

Welcome to the club.

Hell, lad, we are the club, and the rules changed back in 1945
(and the winds of change were blowing far earlier, ruffling the
already tattered, much moth-bitten coat of the mangy old Lion of
the Scuppered H'aisles.

By Golly, come to think of it, had we not offered them ample
employment in public service jobs, limitless undiseased 'taties,
a chance at lace curtains, enlistment in Sherman's band of
Bummers burning and bankrupting all those puir Southren
families, a large brick parish on every urban corner, vast
opportunities to reap political graft, and even a chance at
Aristocracy, as with the Big K family (or how the Erse co-opted
Camelot), all those extra Erse would have seized the reins and
government and commerce throughout the UK and everybody would be
speaking Irish Gaelic within the sounds of both Bow Bells and
Big Ben.

Kenneth Williams

....ahhh, the paranoid insecurity of advancing national
insignificance, or the inevitable "Leuxemburging" of the UK
within the EU, bilingual education in Frawg required of all
kiddies.

TMO

You two deserve each other. What a load of tosh.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old July 2nd 03, 12:23 AM
Darrell A. Larose

Didn't Lester Pearson get a Noble Peace prize in 1957 for this same
proposal? This is something that Canada has contributed troops to since
the 1960's

Old July 2nd 03, 03:23 AM
Andrew Chaplin

"Darrell A. Larose" wrote:

Didn't Lester Pearson get a Noble Peace prize in 1957 for this same
proposal? This is something that Canada has contributed troops to since
the 1960's

Not only that, it's also already being done.
http://www.shirbrig.dk/
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old July 3rd 03, 01:43 AM
ZZBunker

(J Waller) wrote in message . com...
"Well, throughout the latter half of the 40s, and the decades
afteruntil the wall crumbled, we maintained a substantial force
shielding the UK from the perils of its own (necessary)
parsimony. I kind of always contemplated that along with their
hostage role, USForces Europe, were substantial Peacekeepers of
a peace that the Europeans couldn't (or wouldn't) manage to keep
for themselves. Onlt the US presence during those years allowed
the UK to dispatch the occasional battalion to some restive
backwater conflict."

Oh dear you really don't know what you are talking about do you...
Lets see know, the UK maintained until the 1970's several hundred
thousand personnel outside of the UK to look after western interests.
while you guys were messing up in vietnam, we quietly fought a war
against indonesian communism and won. We fought in hell holes all over
the world preserving not only our national interest but also that of
the west in general. We almost crippled our national economy in the
1950's paying for defence expenditure, so don;t tell me we were
parsimonious. The USA felt it in its national interest to keep troops
in Europe, last I heard you guys were an independent nation, so if it
was oh so dreadful for you, why didnt you pull out? Could it be that
your leaders felt that it was in your national interest not to do so?
No one forced you to stay, you stayed of your own free will and
nothing more.

I am sick and tired of this saving the world bull**** I hear from
poorly educated Americans. You did your bit and your economy did very
nicely from it, we did our fair share of keeping the free world free.

We're tired of saving the world too, since we have to keep reminding
Europe that is was -Europe-, not America, that started saving the
world. So as always we are perfectly willing to sell Britian
both Canada and France at a reasonable Viscount Discount price.
Since we don't won't hear anything more about
either the sinking British Navy, the crumbling French Air Force,
the moron German intelligensia, the Chinese Great Wall Of Nothing,
the Russian pyscho zoo, or the pasley-blue UN Global Economy
as being some sort of unstoppable superpower dynamo.

End of story.