Into the Sun

Old September 13th 05, 04:53 AM
Blanche Cohen

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
john smith wrote:
I carry slap-on vinyl sun shades.
Stick em where you want em.
One lets too much sun through, slap another over top of it.

IIRC, I got mine from Sporty's. They were about the size of an automobile sun
visor but of course they were nowhere near as thick. Here's a link to something
quite similar:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....=9526&CATID=96

Better yet -- stop by your local auto supply store and get a roll
of the stuff for about the same price or less. And you get to cut
to fit whatever you want.

Old September 13th 05, 05:25 AM
George Patterson

Kyle Boatright wrote:

Other than picking a course that isn't into the sun, or choosing a better
time to fly, is there any cure for the sun in the eyes problem?

I get my best results from the darkest flip-up plastic sunglasses (K-mart
specials). Won't work if you don't wear glasses, though. I adjust them so that
they shade everything above the dash. That way I can still see the instruments
and avionics clearly. I also wear a baseball cap all the time. The visor is
great, though it won't help when the sun is directly ahead and low. It also
won't help if you're studying to be a rapper. ;-)

George Patterson
Old September 13th 05, 10:57 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Blanche Cohen wrote:

IIRC, I got mine from Sporty's. They were about the size of an automobile
sun visor but of course they were nowhere near as thick. Here's a link to
something quite similar:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....=9526&CATID=96

Better yet -- stop by your local auto supply store and get a roll
of the stuff for about the same price or less. And you get to cut
to fit whatever you want.

Is it really the same stuff? I'm envisioning the window film that auto stores
sell that normally is applied with soapy water and a squeegee. That's not the
same product. This stuff can be applied and reapplied thousands of times using
just your hand and a kleenex.

OTOH, if they sell the same stuff, I sure as hell wouldn't buy it again from
Sporty's. Everything they (Sporty's) sell is higher than hell, comparatively
speaking. Their only saving grace is excellent service and selection. But
price ain't their long suit....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 13th 05, 03:46 PM
Blanche Cohen

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Better yet -- stop by your local auto supply store and get a roll
of the stuff for about the same price or less. And you get to cut
to fit whatever you want.

Is it really the same stuff? I'm envisioning the window film that auto stores
sell that normally is applied with soapy water and a squeegee. That's not the
same product. This stuff can be applied and reapplied thousands of times using
just your hand and a kleenex.

The window film at the auto stores is about 3-5 mil thick. And yes, I
apply it by cleaning the window and slapping it on wherever. It's
probably not as thick as the Sporty's stuff, but I've been using the
same 2-3 pieces for about 4 years now with no problems.

And every once in a while, I even clean the film.

Old September 13th 05, 05:12 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-09-13, Kyle Boatright wrote:
Other than picking a course that isn't into the sun, or choosing a better
time to fly, is there any cure for the sun in the eyes problem?

On a recent flight to Oakland, I had to make do with flying an hour with
my hand blocking the sun, or moving my head so the aircraft structure
blocked the sun. Once in the Oakland area, I had to fly the ILS on a
beautiful clear sunny evening - I couldn't see the airport until around
2 miles out. Everyone else (from the airlines to other light GA pilots)
were telling ATC they couldn't see $FOO due to the sun being in their
eyes.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old September 15th 05, 12:39 AM
Jay Somerset

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:08:36 GMT, tony roberts wrote:

Hi Kyle

I regress to my sailing days - tack left with the visor blocking the
sun/tack right with the visor blocking the sun.
It adds about 15% to the trip - but gets rid of the problem.

Ah, but landing -- tht is the real test. I'd just love to see you touch
down in that left or right "tack". :-)

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

We had gone to the NC beach for the weekend, and had to bug out because of
the hurricane threat. I was worried that even if the hurricane didn't head
right for us, that the outlying winds might get strong enough to prevent us
from departing.

Despite the winds Saturday evening (15 G 25), we had a smooth departure and
headed back towards Atlanta, getting a smooth ride and a bit of a tailwind
for most of the flight. The one thing we didn't have in our favor was
visibility. We were literally headed right into the setting sun for 2 hours.
The haze didn't help. I felt a little better about traffic avoidance because
we were using flight following, but I had a truly miserable time looking
into the sun for the whole flight, despite my sunglasses.

By the time we neared home, my pupils had contracted to the point that I was
having real problems getting them to open up enough to see the panel, which
is flat black. On this evening, it was sea of black with a bright orange
ball perched on top, and the instruments barely visible. As soon as we
changed course to enter the pattern at our home field, everything was
better...

Other than picking a course that isn't into the sun, or choosing a better
time to fly, is there any cure for the sun in the eyes problem?

--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old September 15th 05, 12:42 AM
Jay Somerset

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:31:26 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

I know of two fatal midairs in which sun-blindness was a contributory
factor. No matter what the reported visibility, in those conditions it is
essentially zero. Only solution other than changing course is to get some
kind of opaque disc or sheet that can be stuck to the windscreen.

Way back (how long ago will become apparent), I was landing on 25 at Phoenix
near sundown. The controller kept telling me that the runway was dead ahead
and counting down the miles, but I couldn't see it. I asked him for the
localizer freq...but at that time PHX didn't have an ILS. I finally picked
up the threshold markings when I was right on top of them. Scary.

Ever tried a "blind" touchdown? Where you can't see the runway even over
the threshold because of the sun?

It can be done if you treat it as a "glassy water landing" like a seaplane,
and set up the proper deck angle with power and fly the plane onto the
runway (water).

Bob Gardner

Old September 15th 05, 03:39 AM
tony roberts

Ah, but landing -- tht is the real test. I'd just love to see you touch
down in that left or right "tack". :-)

Nah - then I just close my eyes

Tony

--