WAAS info

Old February 16th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Default WAAS info

I just had the new Garmin 430W installed in my Arrow. Cost of the
exchange from my older 430 was $2500. Labor to install new antenna and
cable plus tax came to $650. It also included testing of existing
connections on my old unit with GPSS and the EDM700 fuel totalizer.
This also includes a terrain page.

"Americas" navdata from Jeppesen including WAAS info is $410 vs $365
without WAAS for 12 monthly updates. Jepp will credit unused months
from non-WAAS subscription.

Jepp also is selling their USB adaptor to handle the new 16 meg data
card for a reduced price of $80. Spare cards are $149, and it's good
to have 1 spare, I think. I'm not sure if the old Skybound units will
handle the new card.

I went with the new unit since the plane is in annual now and I could
get it done at the same time instead of waiting for my place in line
at Garmin for the upgrade, for not a lot more money (I was expecting
about $2600 for the upgrade).

Old February 16th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 15, 7:26 pm, "Paul kgyy" wrote:
I just had the new Garmin 430W installed in my Arrow. Cost of the
exchange from my older 430 was $2500. Labor to install new antenna and
cable plus tax came to $650. It also included testing of existing
connections on my old unit with GPSS and the EDM700 fuel totalizer.

Once you get it back from the shop and go flying how about giving us
a pirep on how the terrain feature works....

Old February 16th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Paul,

Cost of the
exchange from my older 430 was $2500. Labor to install new antenna and
cable plus tax came to $650.

Could you explain how the 2500 accumulate? 1500 is the actual update
from Garmin, right? What is the rest? The new antenna?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 16th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

On Feb 16, 6:00 am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
Paul,

Cost of the
exchange from my older 430 was $2500. Labor to install new antenna and
cable plus tax came to $650.

Could you explain how the 2500 accumulate? 1500 is the actual update
from Garmin, right? What is the rest? The new antenna?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

The $2500 is a brand new 430w in exchange for my older 430, not the
$1500 upgrade. The new units are readily available. The $1500 price
is for new guts in an old 430, and I've been told does not include
terrain info. The new innards have to be installed by Garmin, so you
have to get a place in line, then ship the unit and wait for its
return.

Old February 16th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Paul,

The $2500 is a brand new 430w in exchange for my older 430, not the
$1500 upgrade.

Got it, thanks. Do deals like that come from avionics shops or from
Garmin?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 16th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tjd

On Feb 15, 9:26 pm, "Paul kgyy" wrote:
"Americas" navdata from Jeppesen including WAAS info is $410 vs $365
without WAAS for 12 monthly updates. Jepp will credit unused months
from non-WAAS subscription.

FWIW, if you don't fly outside the country much, they quoted me
350/315 (WAAS/non) for the "Full USA" service. East/Central US was
290/265, I assume West/Central would be similar if you need that. I'm
still on the fence about what to get, unfortunately they don't seem to
sell "one shot" updates if you only stray far from home occasionally.

Of course, I don't even own the GPS yet so I'm definitely looking
forward to PIREPS on the 430w.

Old February 18th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

I'm doing the same deal- trading a 530 for a 530W, and some older King
radios for a new 430W. They both have terrain, as well as Nexrad radio,
graphical and textual metars, Stormscope, and XM channels over the intercom.
All it needs now is satellite TV to watch during those long cross countries!