Flight Review in a turbo twin

Old February 17th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Default Flight Review in a turbo twin

chad wrote:

may be hard on the engines,
specifically the turbos.

What are you worried about the turbochargers, specifically.

Old February 17th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 16, 4:16 pm, "Blueskies" wrote:
Does the CFI giving the review need to have a CFIMEL rating if the flight is in the twin?

Yes, the CFI must hold a CFI rating in the aircraft being used.

-Robert

Old February 17th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 17, 5:34 am, "Denny" wrote:

In any case, if the CFI tells me he wants to see single engine cuts at
50 feet, he will remain unemployed by me...

In a SE plane. Why?

BTW: The FAA has said a number of times that they want to change the
requirements of the BFR to be more like the IPC. They want to add a
section to the PTS for each rating and require the pilot to meet the
table of requirement that will be in the PTS for the rating they hold.
AOPA has argued that CFIs are doing a good job today of making BFRs
"personal" to the pilot. If too many CFIs abuse this, the FAA will get
its way pretty quick.

-Robert

Old February 17th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Feb 17, 5:34 am, "Denny" wrote:

In any case, if the CFI tells me he wants to see single engine cuts at
50 feet, he will remain unemployed by me...

In a SE plane. Why?

BTW: The FAA has said a number of times that they want to change the
requirements of the BFR to be more like the IPC. They want to add a
section to the PTS for each rating and require the pilot to meet the
table of requirement that will be in the PTS for the rating they hold.
AOPA has argued that CFIs are doing a good job today of making BFRs
"personal" to the pilot. If too many CFIs abuse this, the FAA will get
its way pretty quick.

-Robert

The question of what a BFR should be has troubled me from the day I got my
CFI. I don't give "easy" BFRs, and I do try to customize the review to the
certificates and flying habits of the pilot in question. I fundamentally
only have one requirement -- that I can go home that night and get a good
night's sleep without worrying about my signature being in somebody's
logbook.

I'm up-front about that with the people who come to me. Anybody who feels
I'm exceeding the bounds of my authority is free to go fly with another
CFI. That's the great thing about a free-market economy.

I do all of my instructing with a flying club which has its own rules about
recurrent training (stiffer than the FAA). In a way, this gives me more
freedom. People almost never come to me just to do a BFR; it's always "A
BFR and a club annual checkout". If pushed, I can legitimately say that
the extra stuff I'm insisting on is mandated by the club.
Old February 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Robert M. Gary" writes:

[...] AOPA has argued that CFIs are doing a good job today of making
BFRs "personal" to the pilot. If too many CFIs abuse this, the FAA
will get its way pretty quick. [...]

I wonder what else AOPA could possibly say, without
tarnishing the "GA is safe" slogan.

- FChE
Old February 18th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 17, 5:34 am, "Denny" wrote:

In any case, if the CFI tells me he wants to see single engine cuts at
50 feet, he will remain unemployed by me...

In a SE plane. Why?

BTW: The FAA has said a number of times that they want to change the
requirements of the BFR to be more like the IPC. They want to add a
section to the PTS for each rating and require the pilot to meet the
table of requirement that will be in the PTS for the rating they hold.
AOPA has argued that CFIs are doing a good job today of making BFRs
"personal" to the pilot. If too many CFIs abuse this, the FAA will get
its way pretty quick.

-Robert

If the FAA wants to change this rule, what is stopping them? Couldn't they
change the BFR tomorrow? The minutia of FAA rules isn't subject to vote by
the government, is it?

KB

Old February 19th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 16, 12:12 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:
What's a "103?"

"Curator" N185KG

Stinson Stationwagon

Disguised as a "108" maybe?

Old February 19th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 18, 6:05 am, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
If the FAA wants to change this rule, what is stopping them? Couldn't they
change the BFR tomorrow? The minutia of FAA rules isn't subject to vote by
the government, is it?

Subject to strong lobby groups.

-Robert

Old February 21st 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On 17 Feb 2007 09:11:25 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Feb 17, 5:34 am, "Denny" wrote:

In any case, if the CFI tells me he wants to see single engine cuts at
50 feet, he will remain unemployed by me...

In a SE plane. Why?

BTW: The FAA has said a number of times that they want to change the
requirements of the BFR to be more like the IPC. They want to add a
section to the PTS for each rating and require the pilot to meet the
table of requirement that will be in the PTS for the rating they hold.
AOPA has argued that CFIs are doing a good job today of making BFRs
"personal" to the pilot. If too many CFIs abuse this, the FAA will get
its way pretty quick.

Thing is a BFR should be personal. It should be tailored to the pilot
taking the review. IOW it should address any weaknesses or things not
done recently. When I sign up for a flight review I tell the CFI what
I need to work on. If he wants to do more that is fine, if he wants to
do every thing in the PTS that is fine too, but we will cover all the
things I know I need to brush up on.
We will do full stalls (departure, approach, and accelerated). If the
CFI is not comfortable with doing that in my plane then I'll get a
different instructor.

-Robert

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com