USB connectors/extensions for 396 XM antenna

Old May 11th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default USB connectors/extensions for 396 XM antenna

Guys, I am trying to figure out how to extend the cable for the 396
antenna so i can route the cable in the right way... Have you guys
seen a mini usb extension cord or connectors? Or can I simply cut the
cord and splice in a foot or so?

Let me know what you think?

Old May 11th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:
Guys, I am trying to figure out how to extend the cable for the 396
antenna so i can route the cable in the right way... Have you guys
seen a mini usb extension cord or connectors?

Garmin sells an extension cable:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1237

USB connectors are not particularly weatherproof, so you probably want
to make sure all the connectors are inside the plane. You may also want
to put a piece of heat-shrink tubing over the antenna plug-extension
socket connection to make sure it stays plugged in.

I don't think you can get there with standard "computer" cables.
Digging around a little, USB 5-pin Mini B extension cables (F-M) don't
seem to exist. At first I thought you might be able to make one with
the available cables and adapters, but now I don't think that will
work. The reason is that standard USB cables have 4 conductors plus
shield, and the connectors have 4 pins plus shield. The mini USB
connectors have 5 pins plus shield, but the cables only have 4
conductors plus shield. The fifth pin is jumpered at the connector to
tell the device how to behave. However, the manual for the GXM 30 says
that the cable is 5 conductors plus shield. So, at best, using
"computer" USB cables wouldn't work, and at worst, it would fry your GPS
and/or your antenna.

Another option would be to buy a 5-pin Mini B plug and a 5-pin Mini B
socket and make your own extension cable. The problem with this is that
5-pin Mini B plugs don't appear to be available to mortals.

Or can I simply cut the cord and splice in a foot or so?

You could, but it would probably be better to use an extension cable.
You'd have to be comfortable with soldering some pretty small stuff -
you'd need to make 10 28 AWG splices, plus two splices for the shield.
It might be slightly easier to cut the cable and install connectors that
mortals can buy on the two cut ends, and then use a ready-made extension
cable between the two connectors. Of course, any of this would void the
warranty on the antenna.

Matt Roberds

Old May 11th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On May 11, 6:08 am, Ron Natalie wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:
wrote:
Guys, I am trying to figure out how to extend the cable for the 396
antenna so i can route the cable in the right way... Have you guys
seen a mini usb extension cord or connectors? Or can I simply cut the
cord and splice in a foot or so?

Let me know what you think?

Mini USB extension cables are available. Not sure where exactly. I
believe I saw them at MicroCenter. I would avoid splicing.
Good Luck,
Mike

USB extension cables are blatently illegal according to the
specification. You're supposed to use either an appropriate
length single cable, or an approved hub to extend things.

I have one on my setup. I believe it came with the Garmin setup.
Makes it
easy to leave the cabling in place.

You may need the rt angle connector on the 396 end which it did have.

Bil Hale

Old May 12th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

USB extension cables are blatently illegal according to the
specification. You're supposed to use either an appropriate
length single cable, or an approved hub to extend things.

"Illegal". "Specification".

Please explain.
Thanks,
Mike
Old May 12th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Digging around a little, USB 5-pin Mini B extension cables (F-M) don't
seem to exist.

True, but take a look at this:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0202234

Plug the existing hard wired male USB-B (mini) connector from the
antenna into this, then use a standard USB A-B cable from this connector
to the GPS.

I do confess that I did not haul out the manual to see how the XM
antenna is wired. So, the above is risk laden and guarantee free. As the
attached thread suggested, you may not be able to switch back and forth
from A to B USB connectors in both directions.

While I offer a possible solution above that I freely admit may not work
out, please save the sarcastic "BUT YOU ARE WAAAAAAAAY WRONG DUDE AND I
AM RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!" postings for other newsgroups.

Have fun,
Mike

Old May 13th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
me[_1_]

My 396 package from Garmin DID include a usb extension cable for the xm
antenna. I got a chance to use it a few weeks ago when I needed to relocate
the antenna from the glareshield to the back seat in order to get reception.

Call Garmin and see if you can get one, worst case they will have to charge
you for it.

ups.com...

Old May 14th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan[_1_]

Do you guys find that it is necessary to move the GPS and/or XM
antenna to the rear in high-wing Cessnas? I usually just set them on
the glareshield in most Pipers.

--Dan

On May 13, 11:50 am, "me" wrote:
My 396 package from Garmin DID include a usb extension cable for the xm
antenna. I got a chance to use it a few weeks ago when I needed to relocate
the antenna from the glareshield to the back seat in order to get reception.

Call Garmin and see if you can get one, worst case they will have to charge
you for it.

wrote in message

ups.com...

Guys, I am trying to figure out how to extend the cable for the 396
antenna so i can route the cable in the right way... Have you guys
seen a mini usb extension cord or connectors? Or can I simply cut the
cord and splice in a foot or so?

Let me know what you think?- Hide quoted text -

Old May 14th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike Spera wrote:
While I offer a possible solution above that I freely admit may not work
out, please save the sarcastic "BUT YOU ARE WAAAAAAAAY WRONG DUDE AND I
AM RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!" postings for other newsgroups.

I am only saying that because I ca there's a lot of decaffeinated
brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Matt Roberds

DG-1000 undercarriage collapses and inadvertent extensions ? Bernie[_2_] Soaring 24 May 1st 07 02:14 PM
Battery Connectors Paul Remde Soaring 1 September 15th 06 09:46 PM
Battery Connectors Paul Remde Soaring 9 April 9th 06 06:39 PM
Ventus A 16.6 extensions wanted or 15 meter winglets goneill Soaring 0 January 5th 05 06:27 AM
Wing Extensions Jay Home Built 22 July 27th 03 12:23 PM