Archer Tach Red Arc

Old January 18th 05, 03:40 AM
Greg Esres

Default Archer Tach Red Arc

A student has an Archer II that has a red arc painted on the glass of
the tach between 2150 and 2350 RPM. The POH makes no mention of a red
arc.

I'm thinking that either the tach came out of an Arrow (which has a
red arc in this range) or some A&P confused the Archer with an Arrow
and painted it on.

Does anyone know of any legitimate reason for an Archer to have a red
arc, other than max RPM?
Old January 18th 05, 04:03 AM
Steven Barnes

Our Cherokee 180C has a similar red arc due to the type of prop we have on
it (can't remember type) for vibration issues. We could put a different prop
on and have the red arc removed. $$$$$$$$$$ Ugh.

Perhaps in a tach from a plane that had this prop, or the Archer actually
has it.

Old January 18th 05, 04:04 AM
BTIZ

does this archer have the standard engine installed?? then I would not think
that there was an RPM limitation.. if there was an STC for a larger or
different engine prop combination, then that may require the red arc area...
and I agree.. this sounds like something from an Arrow with 3 prop blades..
if there is no documentation of the requirement in the aircraft logs.. then
it is an improper marking on the glass face..

BT

Old January 18th 05, 04:26 AM
Roger

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:04:04 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

does this archer have the standard engine installed?? then I would not think
that there was an RPM limitation.. if there was an STC for a larger or
different engine prop combination, then that may require the red arc area...
and I agree.. this sounds like something from an Arrow with 3 prop blades..

I thought you went to the 3-blade to get rid of the red arc, at least
that's what they said in an article on the conversion a few years
back.

OTOH I've never seen a Cherokee or Archer with the RPM range
limitation. Only an Arrow, but are at least two or three of them I've
probably missed:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com.

Old January 18th 05, 05:41 AM
Greg Esres

Perhaps in a tach from a plane that had this prop, or the Archer
actually has it.

The owner is unaware of any such installation for this airplane, and
there is no supplement in the POH.

What prop do you have?

Old January 18th 05, 05:46 AM
Greg Esres

does this archer have the standard engine installed??

I think so.

if there was an STC for a larger or different engine prop
combination, then that may require the red arc area...

I'll have to check the logs.

this sounds like something from an Arrow with 3 prop blades..

I believe that it's the Arrow 2-blade that has the limitation. We
have one with 3 blades that the mechanic says doesn't need the red
arc, but they left it on anyway.

Thanks
Old January 18th 05, 05:57 AM

Check the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheets for the Pipers.
You will probably find the prop combination liisted with a note
about the tach marking.

If the prop was a result of an STC, it may not be listed. But
I think I've seen new Pipers with tachs like this.

Probably depends on what dampers are on the engine which
would be indicatded by the engine dash number.

Bill Hale A&P

Old January 18th 05, 06:25 AM
Steven Barnes

I can't remember. 2 blades, though. :-)
I found a digital pic of our logbook from 1968 for an engine overhaul that
says it had a Sensenich. Not sure if that's what's still on it or not. A
friend of mine has an '65 or '66 180. He has the red arc, too.

Old January 18th 05, 02:30 PM

Greg Esres wrote:
: Does anyone know of any legitimate reason for an Archer to have a red
: arc, other than max RPM?

The reason is for resonance issues with the Sensenich 76" (EMS8 or whatever)
prop and a Lycoming O-360-A3A (hollow-crank) engine. Our 140 has the Avcon engine
upgrade to 180 HP and has the limitation specified in the STC and the supplemental POH
that came with the STC.... but *only* if the engine is a -A3A. If it's a -A4A, it's
got a solid crank and doesn't require the limitation.

I'd say check the logbooks for propeller model and engine model suffix. I
believe the wording is, "Avoid prolonged cruise power within the 2150-2350 rpm range"

I think they discovered this issue shortly after the -180's came out, so I'm
surprised that an Archer POH doesn't mention it.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 18th 05, 03:44 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:40:13 GMT, Greg Esres
wrote:

A student has an Archer II that has a red arc painted on the glass of
the tach between 2150 and 2350 RPM. The POH makes no mention of a red
arc.

I'm thinking that either the tach came out of an Arrow (which has a
red arc in this range) or some A&P confused the Archer with an Arrow
and painted it on.

Does anyone know of any legitimate reason for an Archer to have a red
arc, other than max RPM?

The older Cherokee 180s had the O-360-A3A engine with the hollow crank
shaft. There was a prohibited RPM range at approx 2150-2350.

I would bet the tach is out of one of these 180s.

-Nathan

Tachometer or Tach Cable Rich Owning 14 October 14th 04 02:54 AM
World War II Flying 'Ace' Salutes Racial Progress, By Gerry J. Gilmore Otis Willie Military Aviation 2 February 22nd 04 04:33 AM
Wayward Tach O. Sami Saydjari Owning 7 February 6th 04 02:27 AM
Tach Vs. Hobbs Time John Roncallo Owning 33 January 7th 04 01:42 AM
Need new PA28 tach Michael Isaksen Owning 2 October 2nd 03 03:27 PM