150's and 172's about the only planes flying!!

Old May 3rd 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default 150's and 172's about the only planes flying!!

On 5/3/2007 10:03:56 AM, Margy Natalie wrote:

Before you ask, all the fly-in spots have been filled for this event and
there is already a waiting list.

Margy, I am certainly do not mean to attack the messenger here, but does
anyone besides me find this ironic?

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Peter R. wrote:
On 5/3/2007 10:03:56 AM, Margy Natalie wrote:

Before you ask, all the fly-in spots have been filled for this event and
there is already a waiting list.

Margy, I am certainly do not mean to attack the messenger here, but does
anyone besides me find this ironic?

Why ironic? We can only bring in 50 airplanes and our communications
guy put a sign up sheet at OSH last year. I can tell you the average
age of the pilots is NOT 25. Anyone within fair striking distance
should tell their friends and neighbors! Of course friends and
neighbors of pilots get to do things like sit in airplanes, but I can
tell you there are LOTS of people who have NEVER had the opportunity to
get anywhere near anything other than an airliner. If each one of us
(Pilots) inspired one kid a year for the next 10 years to go out when he
or she was 25 and get a ticket, we would have done really well. And if
we each got 2 kids, imagine, 2 kids a year, well we might have a movement...

Margy

Old May 3rd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/3/2007 11:28:36 AM, Margy Natalie wrote:

Why ironic? We can only bring in 50 airplanes and our communications
guy put a sign up sheet at OSH last year.

Hmm, upon rereading maybe I don't understand the definition of "fly-in
spots." Does this mean that if I wanted to fly to the event that I could not
do so or does this mean something else?

I had interpreted "fly-in spots" to mean number of airplanes allowed to fly
to the airport for the event and if so, it seemed unfortunate that such a
wonderful event would be limited by that. Driving to the event would be out
of the question for me.

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

The next ten years will decide the fate of GA. You and Ron do what
you can, and Mary and I will continue to be the "Pied Pipers" of GA in
Iowa. Beyond that, I don't know what else to do. Getting pilots to
do anything -- even if it's to save their own fate -- is like herding
cats...

One BIG thing that pilots need to do, is to invite people along with them,
when they go flying.

I don't have a "certificate" YET, and I always tell everyone I know that is
a pilot, that I would JUMP at the chance to go flying with them, especially
when they are going out by themselves.

I don't get near the invitations that I would like. So, if everyone would
be more open to invite a prospective pilot along, DO IT !!! It might be
what someone needs to get off of the fence, and go for it.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 3rd 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

I think you missed one of the biggest components of the perfect storm. The
act that helped resurrect GA limits the liability of manufacturers depending
upon the age of the aircraft. So enterprising plaintiff lawyers will have
to find someone else to sue besides manufacturers. That means mechanics,
since someone with deep pockets has to be responsible for all GA accidents.
So many shops will not work on older aircraft, since if something happens,
they will be the only defendants in the suit, and their carrier will be the
only one on the risk. So not only are the airframes aging, the mechanics
are aging, and the mechanics and shops have a strong financial disincentive
to work on older aircraft. Plus, everything else you said...

"Mike Isaksen" wrote in message

"nrp" wrote...

Itinerant traffic at KSSQ has gone to about zero, even with the
excellent VFR WX this spring.

There's a perfect storm working against us prop pounding GA guys:
1. The age of the average flyer/owner is transitioning from the peak
earning years into the fixed income period. A scary phase to own a 30+
year old money hole.
2. Avgas costs are up at around $4/gal, that's almost a 100% increase in
10 years. Makes forward looking projections very difficult.
3. Administrative, operational and insurance hurdles have risen to a point
where they seem to dominate every hanger/coffee discussion. This involves
everything from changing the 4ft high airport fence to one 8ft barb wire
topped with coded security gates. Airport authorites increasing insurance
minimums for aircraft in hanger and tiedowns. And limiting access rules
for personal cars and family tours.

Old May 4th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Peter R. wrote:
On 5/3/2007 11:28:36 AM, Margy Natalie wrote:

Why ironic? We can only bring in 50 airplanes and our communications
guy put a sign up sheet at OSH last year.

Hmm, upon rereading maybe I don't understand the definition of "fly-in
spots." Does this mean that if I wanted to fly to the event that I could not
do so or does this mean something else?

I had interpreted "fly-in spots" to mean number of airplanes allowed to fly
to the airport for the event and if so, it seemed unfortunate that such a
wonderful event would be limited by that. Driving to the event would be out
of the question for me.

Yeah, it's a "by invitation" fly-in as we can't handle too many
aircraft. Jay Honeck flew in the year before last. There's always next
year to fly in. I know some aircraft are parking at the FBO and then
getting ground transport down.

Margy
Old May 4th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Morgans wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote

The next ten years will decide the fate of GA. You and Ron do what
you can, and Mary and I will continue to be the "Pied Pipers" of GA in
Iowa. Beyond that, I don't know what else to do. Getting pilots to
do anything -- even if it's to save their own fate -- is like herding
cats...

One BIG thing that pilots need to do, is to invite people along with them,
when they go flying.

I don't have a "certificate" YET, and I always tell everyone I know that is
a pilot, that I would JUMP at the chance to go flying with them, especially
when they are going out by themselves.

I don't get near the invitations that I would like. So, if everyone would
be more open to invite a prospective pilot along, DO IT !!! It might be
what someone needs to get off of the fence, and go for it.

Sadly, I know lots of pilots who won't invite folks to go flying for the
fear of liability issues.

Margy
Old May 4th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote

Sadly, I know lots of pilots who won't invite folks to go flying for the
fear of liability issues.

Yes, I know that does happen, and I agree, that is sad. Very sad.

Myself, I will not allow my life to be ruled by geeks, bean counters, and
lawyers at insurance companies.

In my case, these are relatively close friends, so I don't think that is the
cause.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 4th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I know some aircraft are parking at the FBO and then getting ground transport down.

How is this different? You fly into the airport, you park, you go to
the event. Do you have special parking, which is full?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 4th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I know some aircraft are parking at the FBO and then getting ground transport down.

How is this different? You fly into the airport, you park, you go to
the event. Do you have special parking, which is full?

I think Margy is talking about appearing IN the event, not just
attending as a visitor.

Also, parking at the Dulles FBO and going to Udvar-Hazy is almost like
landing at Neil Armstrong Airport and going to the Air Force Museum.
The two are not all that close together.

In fact, it took us longer to taxi to the museum (when we appeared at
the first "Be a Pilot" day) than it did to FLY to Dulles from
Fredericksburg! The place is huge.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

low flying planes? Emily Piloting 8 October 16th 06 11:33 PM
Will these guys n gals be flying our planes next? Flyingmonk Piloting 3 February 5th 06 10:03 PM
From Giant Flying Boats to Rocket Planes. Gail Soaring 1 January 25th 06 09:51 AM
From Giant Flying Boats to Rocket Planes Gail Soaring 4 January 25th 06 09:50 AM
what's the THRILL of flying and planes? ks_av8r Owning 0 October 16th 03 01:27 AM