Slide-in Garmin GTX-320A

Old May 4th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Default Slide-in Garmin GTX-320A

The KT-76A finally went tango uniform so I'm getting a Garmin GTX-320A with
the adapter for the King transponder. Actually, the KT-76A still works but
it takes 45 minutes to an hour for it to warm up so it's equivalent to dead.

Has anyone out there gone the slide-in replacement route on the Garmin? How
was the experience and did you have to get a new antenna (I have the
pole-type)? Lastly, was it a logbook entry or did you have to get an
avionics shop so do anything else besides the IFR transponder check? The W&B
seems to be negligible given the 1lb weight difference.

Thanks in advance.

Marco

Old May 4th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
rq3[_2_]

I did a 320A slide-in replacement for an old Narco AT-50.
I replaced both the antenna and the coax, primarily because they were
of unknown age. The installation was painless and I filed a 337 and had
a transponder cert done to complete the process.

Rip

Old May 4th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

"rq3" wrote in message
I did a 320A slide-in replacement for an old Narco AT-50.
I replaced both the antenna and the coax, primarily because they were
of unknown age. The installation was painless and I filed a 337 and had a
transponder cert done to complete the process.

Rip

Did you file the 337 yourself or did you have a shop do it?

Old May 4th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

Marco Leon wrote:
"rq3" wrote in message

I did a 320A slide-in replacement for an old Narco AT-50.
I replaced both the antenna and the coax, primarily because they were
of unknown age. The installation was painless and I filed a 337 and had a
transponder cert done to complete the process.

Rip

Did you file the 337 yourself or did you have a shop do it?

I'm an A&P/IA. I did it myself.

Rip
Old May 6th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Curious to know... did you make this a field approval? So a fed
stamped box
3 on the 337? If not, what approved data did u use?

Around here, A&Ps are limited to installing ELTs. A real pain. I
have to get a shop to run all this thru... then they have little
problem.
A&Ps have no standing, even IAs.

I'm curious whether it's really different where you are.

Bill Hale Loveland CO

On May 4, 2:11 pm, Rip wrote:
Marco Leon wrote:
.. .