Portable Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Old November 17th 03, 05:01 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Default Portable Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Anyone try any of those battery powered carbon monoxide detectors I see in
pilot shops for about $50. Are they worthwhile? The reason I am asking, is
that I'm wondering whether it is possible to hear one go off with headsets
on in a relatively 'noisy' G.A. aircraft? Recommendations?

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old November 17th 03, 10:23 AM
Roger Long

I really like the one I got from Aeromedix. It has a memory feature which I
check before every flight. The highest previous reading, how long ago it
occurred, and how long it lasts are displayed. CO is most likely to show up
slowly as an exhaust system crack or other problem develops. We get a pulse
of 30 many times when the engine starts and exhaust swirls around the
motionless plane but it last 0 hours. If there is ever any change in this,
I'll know to start checking the exhaust system.

I'll try to remember to push the test button the next time I fly and let you
know if I can hear it.

--
Roger Long

. com...

Old November 17th 03, 12:44 PM
Rick Durden

Cecil,

I got my CO detector through aeromedix.com. The one time it detected
a high CO level and triggered it was plenty loud to be heard through a
headset with both engines running at high power. Good investment in
my mind as it stays in my flight bag and acts as a CO detector for a
part of the house when the flight bag is inside.

Far, far better than those "dark spot" jokes.

All the best,
Rick

Old November 17th 03, 12:57 PM
Roger Long

Second that on the "Spots". If you look at the sensitivity and time over
which they change, you'll realize that, if it did go black, you probably be
too stupid by that time to land the plane.

I think that a lot of the accidents where experienced and proficient pilots
do incomprehensible things were probably borderline CO poisoning.

--
Roger Long

Old November 17th 03, 05:06 PM
Jon Carlson

Mine had been beeping occasionally due to a low battery warning (I
have the Senco model offered on Aeromedix.com). I could hear the beep
fine, but it would only beep occasionally. Took me a while to figure
out what it was, actually. But I could definitely hear it fine when it
did beep.

-Jon C.

Old November 17th 03, 07:02 PM
Craig

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message .com...
Anyone try any of those battery powered carbon monoxide detectors I see in
pilot shops for about $50. Are they worthwhile? The reason I am asking, is
that I'm wondering whether it is possible to hear one go off with headsets
on in a relatively 'noisy' G.A. aircraft? Recommendations?

Whatever you do, spend the time and bucks to have a calibration check
done on it before you rely too much on the readings. Our safety people
at work bought a variety of the detectors to spot around various areas
in the plant that had LPG/Diesel/Gas powered equipment being used on
temporary basis. They ran them through our cal lab and ran
standardized samples on them to see what kind of true calibration they
had. Much to their suprise, all were off, spaning from going off at
50% of the stated threshold, all the way to 25% above threshold
numbers. Also to their suprise, several of the more expensive ones had
the greatest variation from the stated threshold level.

Craig C.

Old November 17th 03, 09:18 PM
Maurice Givens

Check back issues of Aviation Consumer. They did an extensive
analysis of CO detectors.

Maurice Givens

Old November 18th 03, 10:00 PM
Jon Carlson

Seems they carry some other brand and model now (I bought mine more
than a year ago):

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y26E12396

My guess is that this one would chirp loud enough as well, they all
have pretty similar beep/whistle/chirp (whatever!) sounds.

The Senco web site is http://sencosensors.com/. The model on their
main page looks like an aesthetically updated version of the one I
have.

-Jon

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
.com...
Couldn't find it on Aeromedix.... what is the model number?

Narrow Foil Strips for Ground Plane Dennis Mountains Home Built 22 August 29th 04 01:09 AM
carbon fiber dutchpilot Home Built 0 June 16th 04 12:20 PM
Foil Antenna on Carbon Fiber Dennis Mountains Home Built 7 April 24th 04 12:54 AM
Carbon fiber vs. antennas Jim Weir Home Built 8 January 2nd 04 01:40 PM
Foil antenna and carbon fiber BD5ER Home Built 11 August 6th 03 04:44 AM