Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29.

Old April 24th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29.

http://www.dpcars.net/su2.mpg

Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29 (2 1/2 minutes long).

The Monk

Old April 24th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.dpcars.net/su2.mpg

Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29 (2 1/2 minutes long).

Yeah, that is pretty cool, but it would have been nice if the camera man
knew where to point for each move.

One of the things that amazed me the most, was how that big ole' radial
seemed to effortlessly pull it around, almost at a lope, and pretty much the
same RPM, all of the way to the landing.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 24th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah, that is pretty cool, but it would have been nice if the camera man
knew where to point for each move.

Probably helmet mounted...

The Monk

Old April 24th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What's the big deal about the video? The pilot was doing sportsman level
acro, which is pretty entry level, and not only that, it looked liked most
of the lines he drew were off. His recoveries on the hammerhead were off
axis, as were the rolls. None of it was very crisp.

Most of the pulls to the vertical were pretty low g and not that sharp. He
didn't load the g before he pulled, and his pulls were pretty lightweight.

If he flew like that in a contest it doesn't look like he would score that
highly. He was flying nowhere near what the plane was capable of doing.

Old April 25th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Viperdoc" wrote

What's the big deal about the video? The pilot was doing sportsman level
acro, which is pretty entry level, and not only that, it looked liked most
of the lines he drew were off. His recoveries on the hammerhead were off
axis, as were the rolls. None of it was very crisp.

OK, show us a video with all of the good moves that were lacking in this
one. Someone might say it was a "fantastic video," instead of just a cool
video.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 25th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You can call it whatever you like- however the acro was pretty entry level
and not that crisp. It was certainly nowhere near what the airplane was
capable of doing.

My friends and I have tried this in the past, and from the cockpit it just
doesn't look that good -you just don't get a sense of the g forces on the
video. I ended up scratching the inside of the canopy of my Extra with the
helmet cam as well. If I had the computer savvy to make a streaming video I
could send it.

This summer we plan on doing some more video with a minicam mounted on a
strut of a Pitts, which may show more of the action.

I am far from an expert acro pilot, but it was obvious from the video that
the figures could have been flown more cleanly. You can call it cool, but
the flying just wasn't that good.

Old April 26th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Viperdoc" wrote

This summer we plan on doing some more video with a minicam mounted on a
strut of a Pitts, which may show more of the action.

I am far from an expert acro pilot, but it was obvious from the video that
the figures could have been flown more cleanly. You can call it cool, but
the flying just wasn't that good.

Agreed. It will be great to see your tape from the pitts.

Just ask, and you will get some help to stream it, I'll bet.
--
Jim in NC