Stopping a Tail Tank Drip

Old November 25th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

Default Stopping a Tail Tank Drip

Meanwhile, anyone have any ideas on how to apply Vaseline to a valve
seat located some distance up an 8 mm tube?

Know any pilots who are gynecologists?

How about a syringe thing that is used to give babies an oral dose of liquid
medication? Hot glue a small stir stick or small tube of some type, and it
should be able to get up there to the source.

I also might make a suggestion to use air tool O-ring grease. It is a long
chain grease that acts almost like it has long fibers in it. It should stay
around much longer than Vaseline.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Paul,

I'm not too comfortable with using CLR. It says not to use on plastic
laminates or Formica, and my tail tank is plastic. What I'm more
worried about is the valve. I suspect it's got rubber in it, and
there's nothing on the label that says CLR is safe for rubber. But
thanks for your idea.

I'm not convinced that the drip is due to crud build up. This drip
suddenly appeared, after a summer and fall with no problems. That's
why I have a suspicion that it may be due to an overly tight cable,
which contracted slightly more in the cold to cause the drip. I'll
check the cable tension this weekend to rule the cable in or out.

-John

On Nov 25, 3:15 pm, sisu1a wrote:
Is there anything that would be destroyed by putting a CLR solution in
the tank and letting it soak? By your and others descriptions my
guess is that there are water deposit/oxidation buildups preventing
the valve from being able to completely seat, which could be dissolved
with a CLR treatment. Among other materialsn it's list of materials
it's rated safe to use on is fiberglass, and there are even directions
for using it in coffee makers so it's not terribly caustic although it
is very effective at dissolving the stuff it was designed for -Calcium/
Lime/Rust.

-Paul

Old November 26th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Jim,

I'm not familiar with the syringe you speak of. It would have to be
small in both diameter and length to work, as the tube is only 0.375
inches inside diameter and is probably 12 inches long (and turns 90
degrees, too). I was thinking more along the lines of a cut down Q-tip
bonded to the end of a wire.

I'm also not familiar with air tool O-ring grease. I'll talk to a
mechanic friend about getting some. Thanks for the idea.

-John

Old November 26th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"jcarlyle" wrote

Jim,

I'm not familiar with the syringe you speak of. It would have to be
small in both diameter and length to work, as the tube is only 0.375
inches inside diameter and is probably 12 inches long (and turns 90
degrees, too). I was thinking more along the lines of a cut down Q-tip
bonded to the end of a wire.

I'm also not familiar with air tool O-ring grease. I'll talk to a
mechanic friend about getting some. Thanks for the idea.

Go to the drug store, and ask for devices for giving a baby liquid medicine.
There probably are a few different things there hanging together for doing
that.

The syringe diameter is not important. The only thing being stuck into the
tube would be a small diameter tube stuck onto the syringe. Find something
for that, that is flexible enough to go up your tube. Fish tank air hose,
small engine gas line, medical IV tubing, medical tubing for oxygen, all
come to mind as possibilities.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"jcarlyle" wrote

I understand now. Thanks!

Welcome, and come back and tell us how it worked.
--
Jim in NC