Boomers and 40K tailwinds!

Old May 19th 04, 03:32 AM
Doug Vetter

Default Boomers and 40K tailwinds!

Hi groupsters,

Thought I'd share a travelogue of a flight from NJ to Florida I just
completed. The purpose of the trip this time was to attend my sister's
wedding in Jacksonville Beach.

The overriding theme of the trip was dealing with the crazy weather,
including thunderstorms (what else is new in the south this time of
year?), and 40K tailwinds on the way home (near 50K at 9000 feet!).
Made it from Jacksonville Craig (KCRG) to our base (3N6) in 6.1 hours
flight time. That's a record for our 115KTAS Skyhawk!

I also got to try out my new MP3 player, an iRiver iHP-120. This thing
is an ipod killer IMHO. The backlit remote keeps the unit itself on the
ground or in a storage pocket away from harm, the FM tuner works very
well (particularly aloft, as one would expect), and the battery life is
amazing (first charge, 15 hours). I highly recommend looking into it if
you're looking for music but don't want to drop $3K+ on a panel mount.

The strangest part of the whole trip was being on the beach -- in
Florida -- at sunrise -- wearing a suit, no less. Some boomers had come
through the prior evening and left us with a 1000 ft overcast, and we
almost didn't have that picturesque sunrise we all expected, but the
clouds parted over us as the sun came up. The entire ceremony turned
out beautifully.

Check out the full story on my site. Click through:

Aviation-Articles-Travelogues-Sunrise in Florida

Safe flying,

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old May 19th 04, 02:36 PM
Peter R.

Doug Vetter ) wrote:

I also got to try out my new MP3 player, an iRiver iHP-120. This thing
is an ipod killer IMHO. The backlit remote keeps the unit itself on the
ground or in a storage pocket away from harm, the FM tuner works very
well (particularly aloft, as one would expect), and the battery life is
amazing (first charge, 15 hours). I highly recommend looking into it if
you're looking for music but don't want to drop $3K+ on a panel mount.

Enjoyed reading about your flight. I assume that there is no problem with
the iRiver skipping or locking up while in the aircraft?

I have an Archos 20Gb MP3 Jukebox that has to sit on my lap to protect it
for the slightest vibration. Otherwise, if the device sits anywhere,
including the empty copilot seat, it will lock up due the vibration and
require a hard reset.

--
Peter

Old May 20th 04, 01:42 AM
Doug Vetter

Peter R. wrote:
Enjoyed reading about your flight. I assume that there is no problem with
the iRiver skipping or locking up while in the aircraft?

Absolutely no problem with skipping or anything else (i.e. no
interference with on-board equipment). It performed beautifully.

I have an Archos 20Gb MP3 Jukebox that has to sit on my lap to protect it
for the slightest vibration. Otherwise, if the device sits anywhere,
including the empty copilot seat, it will lock up due the vibration and
require a hard reset.

One of the nice things about the iRiver's remote is that it allowed me
to keep the unit itself in its protective leather case, inside of my
padded camera case stuffed under the passenger's seat. The case
provided addtional shock protection, I'm sure.

The FM receiver is one of the main reasons I bought it over the ipod.
While it doesn't sound as good as mp3's, for local news and weather it's
great! :-)

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old May 20th 04, 02:22 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Peter R. said:
I have an Archos 20Gb MP3 Jukebox that has to sit on my lap to protect it
for the slightest vibration. Otherwise, if the device sits anywhere,
including the empty copilot seat, it will lock up due the vibration and
require a hard reset.

The iPod doesn't skip, even if you drop it off your desk onto the floor.
Believe me, I listen to mine at work all the time.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Why is there only one Monopolies and Mergers Commission?