Is anyone else secretly glad...

Old January 12th 04, 02:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Is anyone else secretly glad...

....that the 100th anniversary of flight is finally past?

Every flying magazine felt compelled (naturally) to write extensively about
the Wright Brothers for the past year, to the point where I simply didn't
want to read another article about them... Each magazine seemed to be
struggling to top the others in hyperbole and hoopla, and I guess I
experienced "Wright Overload"...

It's great to get the current batch of mags, and see some major lineage
devoted to covering the new Garmin G1000, and other modern flying-related
stuff. (Anyone else see the current article on the G1000 in Flying Mag?
What a panel!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 04, 04:02 PM
Jack Allison

Well Jay, since I only get three flying magazines (I know, and I call myself
a pilot...the nerve...) and one (Air & Space) isn't purely dedicated to
flying, I wasn't subjected to "Wright overload". Look at it this
way...you'll never have to worry about it again in your lifetime.

Cool articles on the G1000 though. Maybe some day I'll save up a month's
worth of my flying budget and rent something that has all them funny flat
panel. For now, I'm content with a panel mounted color Garman GPS.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old January 12th 04, 04:12 PM
Ted Huffmire

The John Travolta appearance was what really
put it over the top.

Yet I do echo the yearning for the wild west
frontier days before the FAA, TSA, medical
certificates, TFRs, background checks,
shoot-down authority, 8020-11 forms, etc.

Ted

Old January 12th 04, 04:33 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ted Huffmire" wrote in message ...
The John Travolta appearance was what really
put it over the top.

Hey, the AF1 low-pass made my day.

Old January 12th 04, 05:17 PM
Jim Weir

It wasn't so much the low pass, but the wing dip to the monument that got me.

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 13th 04, 12:41 AM
Pat Thronson

What approx. agl was AF1, any videos?

Pat thronson
ps Jim, obviously your 182 made the trip ok? I did not here you honk as you
went over lol.

Old January 13th 04, 12:52 AM
Dan Thomas

"Jack Allison" wrote in message ...
Well Jay, since I only get three flying magazines (I know, and I call myself
a pilot...the nerve...)

Where do you guys get all the time to read so many magazines? I
quit trying a long time ago, especially since most had articles about
stuff I could never afford and will never fly. I prefer to read
textbooks that teach me to do better the things I CAN afford.

Dan
Old January 13th 04, 01:28 AM
john smith

Dan Thomas wrote:

Where do you guys get all the time to read so many magazines?

What else is there to do in the bathroom?
Old January 13th 04, 01:39 AM
K9 Lover

Every flying magazine felt compelled (naturally) to write extensively
about
the Wright Brothers for the past year, to the point where I simply didn't
want to read another article about them... Each magazine seemed to be
struggling to top the others in hyperbole and hoopla, and I guess I
experienced "Wright Overload"...

Of course, the greatest irony of all is that Richard Pearce beat them by the
best part of a year.

Old January 13th 04, 01:41 AM
Jim Weir

I'd guess that AF1 was somewhere between 700 and 1000 agl -- how about it, Ron?
The sheer size of that 747 makes it difficult to judge hat.

No, the 182 stayed in the barn. There is a name for people who don't like the
weather they see and just HAVE to be somewhere on a particular day. The word is
"dead".

I ran into some crap going around Salt Lake, and again around Kansas City that
would have brought the 182 to his knees...and me with him. I worked too hard on
that tin whore to turn him into beer cans that easily.

And, thinking we'd outrun the bugger coming home, we almost went off the road on
I-40 in Flagstaff with the same sort of clag.

Could we have made it? I'd have given you 99% that we would have, juking around
this and that end of the stuff. It is that last 1% that is going to get you,
and that is to be studiously avoided.

The Bronco did just fine, thank you.

Jim